******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
only england can fuck up from winning from here right ?????

2 days left and 382 lead and 2 wicket to lose and a pitch going to crumble and becoming a minefield with batting last on, also the weather forecast is set for sunny and dry, we can not lose this test ??? or can we

So over all then what do we think? In isolation I think Burns and Denly have done ok. Hardly Trescothic and Strauss, but considering there does not seem to be any decent opening partnerships in test cricket any more, I think these two have done ok. With Denly being 33, IF there was someone half decent waiting in the wings then I would not lose too much sleep if he was to make way

The captaincy has been awful. I would be tempted to bring Morgan in just for his captaincy and bat him down the order. I would keep Butler in and make him keep wickets. Bairstow and Roy could go for me.

The bowling, well 3 definites should be Archer, Curran and Broard with Mark Wood next in line if he is fit. Is Jimmy really going to be there for the Ashes down under? I doubt he is, so it is time for him to retire really.

The spin department is strange. Rashid looks like he turns the ball the most but has been erratic in test cricket. Moeen looks the best player but his confidence with the ball looks shot. Jack Leach looks a steadie Eddie with both bat and ball but he seems to be more about containment and holding up an end rather than an outright threat and matchwinner.

There is some promise in this England team, it is just about getting the mix right. We also need some red ball cricket. We have looked severely undercooked in this series.

2 days left and 382 lead and 2 wicket to lose and a pitch going to crumble and becoming a minefield with batting last on, also the weather forecast is set for sunny and dry, we can not lose this test ??? or can we
Do you remember the one we won ? Nothings set in stone 70/30 favourites in my book but I’m a bit of a pessimist probably more like 85/15

Root seems determined to bowl Archer into the ground so let’s not get surprised if Archer struggles in the 2nd innings.

Not convinced Leach will turn it that much and in any case Root will drop a couple.

Smith 180no and Aussies to win by 4 wickets.

The Aussies are definitely the Rags of cricket.

Apparently their sledging has gone up a few paces this match.

Bringing up Stokes’s assault case in Bristol, as an example.

After United, they’re the sporting team I loathe the most. They’re almost all absolute pricks, and have been for as long as I can recall, bar the odd exception.

Aussies are United, India are Liverpool. Always been that way.

The Aussies always give it out, but they're the absolute worst at taking it.

So over all then what do we think? In isolation I think Burns and Denly have done ok. Hardly Trescothic and Strauss, but considering there does not seem to be any decent opening partnerships in test cricket any more, I think these two have done ok. With Denly being 33, IF there was someone half decent waiting in the wings then I would not lose too much sleep if he was to make way

The captaincy has been awful. I would be tempted to bring Morgan in just for his captaincy and bat him down the order. I would keep Butler in and make him keep wickets. Bairstow and Roy could go for me.

The bowling, well 3 definites should be Archer, Curran and Broard with Mark Wood next in line if he is fit. Is Jimmy really going to be there for the Ashes down under? I doubt he is, so it is time for him to retire really.

The spin department is strange. Rashid looks like he turns the ball the most but has been erratic in test cricket. Moeen looks the best player but his confidence with the ball looks shot. Jack Leach looks a steadie Eddie with both bat and ball but he seems to be more about containment and holding up an end rather than an outright threat and matchwinner.

There is some promise in this England team, it is just about getting the mix right. We also need some red ball cricket. We have looked severely undercooked in this series.
Very astute summing up of the current England test team. I definitely want the captaincy taking off Root as, even if he denies it, his batting has suffered. I long for the days when we had a truly great spinner who not only took wickets but could bowl all day to give the pace bowlers a rest. I have nothing against Leach but is he really the best we have?

Great post, telling it like it is. Hasn't Denly's knock in this one put a bit of a gloss on his overall performance in the series, though?
Worrying that we've got no spinner who's performing properly. You can't have a rounded team with no spinner. Lyon's passed a bit under the the radar, but look how useful he's been to the Aussies to provide a bit of variation, and shake things up. He's also capable of knocking up a carefree 25 or 30 at the end of an innings, and that is a mightily useful thing in tight matches.
The brightest lights in this England team gave been Archer and Stokes. Everybody else needs to take a look at themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.