The back four isn’t title winning quality

Got to say I was amazed that Joao Cancelo did not start yesterday. I understand the need to get up to speed with our game plan etc, but yesterday I would have thought would be a perfect chance for him.

I have defended Stones to the hilt but there is one thing he can't seem to eradicate from his game, which is his willingness to put his foot in and be physical.

He clearly held back from a solid 50/50 on the halfway line yesterday, seemingly worried about getting hurt.

People using the loss of Vinny are being slightly disingenuous, he was never for for three seasons.

His loss in the dressing room as a vocal leader is quite separate.

Quite simply, the back four, regardless of who it is made up of, suffers when you have Gundogan in it.

For me, we should be playing both Rodri and Fernandinho together in the middle when we are away from home.

Interesting to note it was Vinny who told Henry with Belgium how City were susceptible at the front post and should get across Fern in the World Cup game.

It is the system which others are also now exploiting.
I think Vinny turned back the years at the end of last season and without his on pitch contribution the Dippers would be looking for two in a row now. I agree with your plan to beef up midfield we may have to accept that we will not be able to play the same type of game as the last two seasons. We need to find different ways to win and that is the task of management. It is Pep's job to keep us within 5 point of the Dippers come April if he does that we can win the league again no problem.

I have defended Stones to the hilt but there is one thing he can't seem to eradicate from his game, which is his willingness to put his foot in and be physical.

He clearly held back from a solid 50/50 on the halfway line yesterday, seemingly worried about getting hurt.

Hopefully he will become more physical as he settles back in. He seemed to be getting there for a spell last season imo & his decision making was much better in that period.

I think the balance of the team yesterday, puts extra pressure on the defence in general. Rodri, Gundogan, Otamendi, Zinchenko, no pace plus an ageing DS.

People using the loss of Vinny are being slightly disingenuous, he was never fit for three seasons.

His loss in the dressing room as a vocal leader is quite separate.

Quite simply, the back four, regardless of who it is made up of, suffers when you have Gundogan in it.

For me, we should be playing both Rodri and Fernandinho together in the middle when we are away from home.

Interesting to note it was Vinny who told Henry with Belgium how City were susceptible at the front post and should get across Fern in the World Cup game.

It is the system which others are also now exploiting.
Vincent in those three seasons still played all the big games nearly every single one. Especially towards the end of last season and groups of games along the season.
That surely shows that Pep does not trust John Stones or Nico in big games.
Yesterdays evidence along with many other games you can see why.

At the end of the day with Kompany gone he should of been replaced.
Now that he hasn't it's time to start giving games to Eric Garcia, Everytime he played for us in the first team and I pre season he seems to be very vocal for his age, Stones and Otamendi barely speak a word its embarrassing.

Vincent in those three seasons still played all the big games nearly every single one. Especially towards the end of last season and groups of games along the season.
That surely shows that Pep does not trust John Stones or Nico in big games.
Yesterdays evidence along with many other games you can see why.

At the end of the day with Kompany gone he should of been replaced.
Now that he hasn't it's time to start giving games to Eric Garcia, Everytime he played for us in the first team and I pre season he seems to be very vocal for his age, Stones and Otamendi barely speak a word its embarrassing.

If we start playing Garcia as a 1st choice, the title will be over by Oct.

We have to get these guys into form.

Kompany has the authority though to let other people play even if his own game was latterly impaired.

I think the young players have the quality but is it the right thing to do to ask them to play alongside a player like Stones who is still trying to get his own game right.

Only one defeat. We lost games last season too. I feel this is a little different though as I had total faith in that squad, whereas now someone has to come forward.

We have Shakhtar wed, so keeping KDB and Fern on the bench made a lot of sense, it just goes to show that we can't afford to underestimate anyone, including Norwich in this league - as Pep says time and time again, it's the toughest league in europe.

We put it behind us, learn what we can and we go again.
With hindsight could have played KDB and rested him in the Ukraine

I think Vinny turned back the years at the end of last season and without his on pitch contribution the Dippers would be looking for two in a row now. I agree with your plan to beef up midfield we may have to accept that we will not be able to play the same type of game as the last two seasons. We need to find different ways to win and that is the task of management. It is Pep's job to keep us within 5 point of the Dippers come April if he does that we can win the league again no problem.

I find it more than a little puzzling that Vinny managed to stay fit those last ten games or so?

I suspect he played through any type of pain and usual grumble, knowing he was finishing.

The fact remains, we didn't miss him quite as much as some of our critics would now like to suggest.

The result yesterday was on Pep. The starting line-up screamed 'struggle', knowing how comfortable Norwich are at playing through a shite press, starting with Aguero, and then two players in Gundo and Rodri who aren't quick enough to collapse the transitions.

Rodri reminded me of Yaya at times yesterday, he makes certain things look so easy, but he doesn't come to receive the ball like Fern does.

Those two together should start most games and that would certainly help out our defence.

Farke was also very clever, at no stage did a Norwich player press Ederson, they allowed our defenders to retain the ball, knowing they aren't good enough to pass through the lines if, in his case, Gundogan, is too lazy or brave to come and collect in the hole.

It was man for man, even Brighton showed last weekend that any team who tries to be brave and play through our press, can get onto us very quickly if our midfielders are the wrong side of the ball.

Our biggest mistake was not pushing the boat out on Maguire.

We have nobody who can do the basic defending side of the game.

Only Otamendi has those nearest pure facets, so it's hardly a surprise we will struggle in set-ups like yesterday, or against the best teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.