Is English football at it's strongest ever?

SambaStyle

I think so.

City and Liverpool are 2 of the 3 best teams in the world today (I'd add Barca). There's another 4 really good teams below (Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, United) which makes a strong top 6, then another 4 teams of Everton, Wolves, Leicester and West Ham to give the English league possibly the strongest top 10 ever.

I think even the top Championship teams nowadays would have been surviving easily 5-6 years ago in this league. Look at the talent that was there last year which is in the PL this year.. Abraham, Mount, Tomori, Wilson, Maupay, James, Grealish, McGuinn, Buendia, Pukki, Barnes, James etc. The sides at the top of that league now are playing with great confidence and flair, Swansea when they came up in 2011 was a complete anomaly, but nowadays nearly all of the promoted teams play that way.

Yes.

I’ve never seen anything like this level across the league. In the last five years it’s gone mental how good Prem teams are. Considering City and Liverpool are better than any champions and runners-up we’ve ever seen before, the rest of the league is also that far ahead of their respective places from decades gone.

You could definitely extend that to the Championship n’all. The quality of the Leeds v Derby playoff game last season was incredible and neither of them got promoted. I’ve seen lower quality in the CL group stages than that game.

Because of the TV money, bottom half Prem teams are outbidding CL group stage teams for the players they’re in for, or signing CL group stage teams’ players.

Huddersfield earnt more TV and Prem placing money than Atlético Madrid did last season from their TV and La Liga placing money.

Four Prem teams in the two European finals last season, that could be a regular occurrence (like it was for Spain for a while) in the coming decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so.

City and Liverpool are 2 of the 3 best teams in the world today (I'd add Barca). There's another 4 really good teams below (Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, United) which makes a strong top 6, then another 4 teams of Everton, Wolves, Leicester and West Ham to give the English league possibly the strongest top 10 ever.

I think even the top Championship teams nowadays would have been surviving easily 5-6 years ago in this league. Look at the talent that was there last year which is in the PL this year.. Abraham, Mount, Tomori, Wilson, Maupay, James, Grealish, McGuinn, Buendia, Pukki, Barnes, James etc. The sides at the top of that league now are playing with great confidence and flair, Swansea when they came up in 2011 was a complete anomaly, but nowadays nearly all of the promoted teams play that way.

Agreed, 100%.

These fecking lower teams have caught massively.

Youth work and money have paid off

Yeah agreed, I think actually this might be the weakest the prem has been.

The rags may be the weakest they have been in a decade, but that doesn't make the rest weaker.

Last season, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool were all running teams in the European cups, on a fair field City would have been there - ahead of some of the European heavyweight's, all of whom fielded great teams.

i think Wolves were in the Championship when we played them at home in the Caribau cup, and we beat them on penalties because they played to shut us down - and when they step up into the PL they became a team to underestimate at at your peril - and i think bar maybe one or two teams the league is a tough place for any team.

Yes.

I’ve never seen anything like this level across the league. In the last five years it’s gone mental how good Prem teams are. Considering City and Liverpool are better than any champions and runners-up we’ve ever seen before, the rest of the league is also that far ahead of their respective places from decades gone.

You could definitely extend that to the Championship n’all. The quality of the Leeds v Derby playoff game last season was incredible and neither of them got promoted. I’ve seen lower quality in the CL group stages than that game.

Because of the TV money, bottom half Prem teams are outbidding CL group stage teams for the players they’re in for, or signing CL group stage teams’ players.

Huddersfield earnt more TV and Prem placing money than Atlético Madrid did last season from their TV and La Liga placing money.

Four Prem teams in the two European finals last season, that could be a regular occurrence (like it was for Spain for a while) in the coming decade.
If you are right about our future dominance, UEFA will just change the rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.