******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ you sound fun.

As regards Botham and Gower, I'll miss them both, I think Botham injected a bit of humour into proceedings that Gower seemed reluctant to do most of the time, and Gower provides the in-depth analysis to keep things on track.

As for the series, we really missed a trick in that first test that would have set the tone for the rest of the Ashes. I think the England bowlers developed a mental block about Smith, who was magnificent in this series, the cheating twat.

Broad and Archer were superb, Leach's 92 was quality, Stokes produced arguably the best ever knock by an Englishman in an Ashes test. Our batting was pretty piss-poor throughout, the usual collapses occurring, must be a mental strength and concentration issue. But Smith asides, the Aussies weren't much better, so a draw was probably the right result.

I really enjoyed the cricket over the summer, made up for no football being on. I wonder who will replace Trevor Bayliss as coach?

leach did not make 92 in the ashes ????

its cricket that you can only drawing a series and losing the ashes and the media says it a great summer of cricket really ????

leach did not make 92 in the ashes ????

its cricket that you can only drawing a series and losing the ashes and the media says it a great summer of cricket really ????
There's been so many great days of cricket this summer. Have you not enjoyed it?

If England had picked Curran and Leach over Roy and Moeen for all 5 tests and picked Archer for all 5 they would have won. Poor selections again from the ECB.

Archer was injured for the first test, and after the World Cup you would have struggled to find many who didn’t want Roy in the team

Several 'best evers' imo, The early one with Roberts, Holding, Garner.+ that evil fucker Croft. Then we had Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Patterson. Somebody on Sky I think it was, said something about this Australian attack being like the West Indies, but watching it live, it really really isn't, at all.

Good bowlers, but those fuckers were terrifying from 50 yards away.

And regarding batsmen, the Australian team with Warne (genuinely the all time great spin bowler) had batsmen who basically invented the 'take it to the bowler' attitude, where they hit their way out of trouble.

Fantastic, but it required helmets & padding which Greenidge, Richards, Lloyd etc didn't have. They wore caps against Lillie & Thompson, as did poor old Bumble & his plastic codpiece. Thompson was an even scarier motherfucker than the West Indians.

These guys nowardays, defend the short ball by using their heads. They would all be dead.

Incidentally the best bowler I've ever seen, was Wasim Akram. I had the good luck to watch him every week.

Great post and fully agreed.

Btw, I worked with a bloke after I left school who faced Patrick Patterson, in club cricket. He said it was frightening, with lots of expletives thrown in.

That was the season before he signed for Lancs so he was rapid back then.

There's been so many great days of cricket this summer. Have you not enjoyed it?

great cricket is missing the point ?? we only won the world cup on more boundaries than new zealand and did not win the ashes ???

its simple you play to win, ok it will go down as winning the ODI world cup 2019 but how close was it to losing the world cup ?? then the ashes and the team selections and jimmy was not used in the ireland game knowing the injury was 20/80 at best of clearing up in time, so they played him in the first ashes test with that chance of losing him early ??? and he lasts 4 overs and down to 2 main bowlers, then picking moeen ali over a full time spinners leach who made 92 in the game before ?? then leaving curran out until the last test and had smith in all sorts of trouble with being a left arm bowler ??

look paper over the cracks with the ODI world cup win if you like ?? but the Aussies was here for the taking and winning back the ashes even without jimmy anderson, if we had played leach curran archer from the start i think we would have beat them and won that first test when we had them 128/8 and a full attacking bowling unit

so not for me ?? its been poor cricket all summer and bad selection by the ECB selectors and only one or two from both sides made the difference in the summer, the rest was just shocking at times and a puzzle watching so called world class players batting so badly it was school boys stuff at times, roy buttler root bairstow wide open defences and shocking batting, it was that bad at times england looked they was never going to make 100 runs GREAT SUMMER OF CRICKET MY ARSE

great cricket is missing the point ?? we only won the world cup on more boundaries than new zealand and did not win the ashes ???

its simple you play to win, ok it will go down as winning the ODI world cup 2019 but how close was it to losing the world cup ?? then the ashes and the team selections and jimmy was not used in the ireland game knowing the injury was 20/80 at best of clearing up in time, so they played him in the first ashes test with that chance of losing him early ??? and he lasts 4 overs and down to 2 main bowlers, then picking moeen ali over a full time spinners leach who made 92 in the game before ?? then leaving curran out until the last test and had smith in all sorts of trouble with being a left arm bowler ??

look paper over the cracks with the ODI world cup win if you like ?? but the Aussies was here for the taking and winning back the ashes even without jimmy anderson, if we had played leach curran archer from the start i think we would have beat them and won that first test when we had them 128/8 and a full attacking bowling unit

so not for me ?? its been poor cricket all summer and bad selection by the ECB selectors and only one or two from both sides made the difference in the summer, the rest was just shocking at times and a puzzle watching so called world class players batting so badly it was school boys stuff at times, roy buttler root bairstow wide open defences and shocking batting, it was that bad at times england looked they was never going to make 100 runs GREAT SUMMER OF CRICKET MY ARSE

Yup, you are of course right Ancoats, we should all ignore what the England Captain said, and what the Australian Captain said. We should ignore all of the pundits from Oz and the UK (Ponting, Gower, Botham, Agnew, Maxwell, Vaughan) who unanimously lauded a great summer of cricket. We should ignore the hundreds of thousands of spectators who went to watch live cricket (many for the first time in their lives), and we need to ignore the millions who watched on tv and listened on the radio.

We should ignore what many, including Alistair Cook and Geoff Boycott (two of the greatest ever openers for England) called the greatest batting display they had ever seen. We should ignore a young lad bowling at 95+ mph in his first ashes series, we should ignore the second biggest haul of runs by an individual in 4 Test matches since Viv Richards and we should ignore some amazingly athletic pieces of catching in the field. We should even ignore only the 5th tied world cup game ever.

We should ignore the thousands of people across the UK who, wherever they happened to be, at a local cricket game, at a county cricket match, at the football, at the beach, at music festivals and those in the pubs up and down the country, all stopped what they were doing to watch or listen to two moments of intense sporting intrigue,and edge of the seat excitement and drama that literally stopped the country for a few moments.

We should ignore all that, we should ignore it and listen to you, a boring, one trick pony who only ever moans about cricket, who never says anything positive and barely anything interesting, who just reels out the same boring criticisms every time a game is played. You know what mate, if you didn't enjoy this summer for the Great Summer of Cricket that it undoubtedly was, it might just be that you don't like cricket, which is fair enough, but if that is the case, fuck off somewhere else to do your moaning.

Yup, you are of course right Ancoats, we should all ignore what the England Captain said, and what the Australian Captain said. We should ignore all of the pundits from Oz and the UK (Ponting, Gower, Botham, Agnew, Maxwell, Vaughan) who unanimously lauded a great summer of cricket. We should ignore the hundreds of thousands of spectators who went to watch live cricket (many for the first time in their lives), and we need to ignore the millions who watched on tv and listened on the radio.

We should ignore what many, including Alistair Cook and Geoff Boycott (two of the greatest ever openers for England) called the greatest batting display they had ever seen. We should ignore a young lad bowling at 95+ mph in his first ashes series, we should ignore the second biggest haul of runs by an individual in 4 Test matches since Viv Richards and we should ignore some amazingly athletic pieces of catching in the field. We should even ignore only the 5th tied world cup game ever.

We should ignore the thousands of people across the UK who, wherever they happened to be, at a local cricket game, at a county cricket match, at the football, at the beach, at music festivals and those in the pubs up and down the country, all stopped what they were doing to watch or listen to two moments of intense sporting intrigue,and edge of the seat excitement and drama that literally stopped the country for a few moments.

We should ignore all that, we should ignore it and listen to you, a boring, one trick pony who only ever moans about cricket, who never says anything positive and barely anything interesting, who just reels out the same boring criticisms every time a game is played. You know what mate, if you didn't enjoy this summer for the Great Summer of Cricket that it undoubtedly was, it might just be that you don't like cricket, which is fair enough, but if that is the case, fuck off somewhere else to do your moaning.

You need to calm down mate.......We should :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.