3 at the back?

if it was a three at the back ferna would be the middle cb and there wouldn't be a rodri,no need for rodri when ferna steps up out of the three, gundo is the man,with kdb and bernado in front , sterling and jesus up top .perfect. I know Sergio is the best finisher we have ,however with sterling and jesus up top our press from the front would be brilliant.

......................edi...................

............stones......ferna.......ota......

..walker...............gundo................zinc

.............kev............bernado.........

...............jesus........raheem............

Rodri provides physical presence and is pretty good at passing the ball. Gundo is an option against weaker sides.

Even we counter attack. To counter attack and to play on the counter attack are two different things. Wingbacks might help us press better and make fast transitions. Having good counter attacking options is not about defending deep and attacking once in 10 minutes.

In the last 3 games with Liverpool they had 50 % possession. So, there are more opportunities to press them in our half or the central part of the pitch and counter them. We scored the winner in January from a counter attack.
Clearly a bit of miscommunication, I thought you were advocating us playing deep and counter attacking.

We've got loads of choice:

Walker-Stones-Otamendi-Mendy
Walker-Fernandinho-Otamendi-Mendy
Walker-Stones-Fernandinho-Mendy
Walker-Garcia-Otamendi-Mendy
Walker-Garcia-Stones-Mendy
Walker-Stones-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Walker-Fernandinho-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Walker-Stones-Fernandinho-Zinchenko
Walker-Garcia-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Walker-Garcia-Stones-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Stones-Otamendi-Mendy
Cancelo-Fernandinho-Otamendi-Mendy
Cancelo-Stones-Fernandinho-Mendy
Cancelo-Garcia-Otamendi-Mendy
Cancelo-Garcia-Stones-Mendy
Cancelo-Stones-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Fernandinho-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Stones-Fernandinho-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Garcia-Otamendi-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Garcia-Stones-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Walker-Stones-Mendy
Cancelo-Walker-Otamendi-Mendy
Cancelo-Walker-Stones-Zinchenko
Cancelo-Walker-Otamendi-Zincehnko
Had time on your hands today ;-), but you've not done a three at the back option for those who are better qualified than Pep.

Thanks for your imaginative contribution. Personally, I'm a huge Pep fan and trust him to come up with clever ideas. This thread is just a discussion with fellow blues about our team.
Thanks for your imaginative contribution. Personally, I'm a huge Pep fan and trust him to come up with clever ideas. This thread is just a discussion with fellow blues about our team.
Bluemoon humour, get over it.

I personally would go with a 4-1-2-3 formation. I would say it has been relatively successful yielding 7 out of the last 8 domestic trophies and 99 points in the last two years.

4-1-2-3 is clearly our preferred system but at times switching to 4-2-1-3 to give us an extra player in central midfield to provide stability against a counter attack means BOTH fullbacks are free to attack. It’s not changing the balance of the team at all, it’s simply changing the angles and patterns of attacking play to help break a narrow press (e.g. Liverpool).

Three at the back again is used primarily to allow two strikers against a ‘park the bus’ Mourinho type defence. Especially now we have Cancelo and Mendy (if he’s ever fit), we have the width on both sides.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.