John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean this to be insensitive but this is the start of his seventh season in the Premier League and third with Pep. He isn't a young player anymore. I know he's had some issues off the pitch and these guys are real people too but at some point "confidence issues" is just code for "not very good". He needs to start delivering soon.
How do you classify `soon` with Kompany gone and no replacement Laporte injured and his back up playing like MDM Sane injured and maybe leaving Mendy still out injured Fernandinho close to retirement and Silva retiring in the summer I just wondered because Pep is going to be too busy to change his only ball playing center back this summer

Simply has to step up or he will be gone, Pep can't keep talking him up in the press conferences and be let down.

You can tell him and Otamendi have barely played together and it felt like they barely said two words too each other all game. Compared with Kompany who used to coach his centre back partners through every game.

Stones needs to become that voice at the back now, Walker and Zinchenko are attack minded first and will nearly always be 30-40yrd away so its down to him to lead the backline.

How do you classify `soon` with Kompany gone and no replacement Laporte injured and his back up playing like MDM Sane injured and maybe leaving Mendy still out injured Fernandinho close to retirement and Silva retiring in the summer I just wondered because Pep is going to be too busy to change his only ball playing center back this summer
Soon, in the short term means "until Fernandino is up to speed", in the medium term means "until Laporte is back", and in the long term "until the summer". Unless Garcia or THB massively step up between now and the end of the season we're buying a centerback this summer and if he wants to be a meaningful player for us he needs to get better before that happens.

Also Stones isn't the only ball playing centerback on the team. Laporte isn't retired, he's coming back.

Simply has to step up or he will be gone, Pep can't keep talking him up in the press conferences and be let down.

You can tell him and Otamendi have barely played together and it felt like they barely said two words too each other all game. Compared with Kompany who used to coach his centre back partners through every game.

Stones needs to become that voice at the back now, Walker and Zinchenko are attack minded first and will nearly always be 30-40yrd away so its down to him to lead the backline.

It doesn't seem to be his natural demeanour to be that voice though .

At age 25 if he was that type of personality, I would have expected to have seen signs of it by now, and he hasn't shown it. Whether it is a confidence issue or self-belief issue I am not sure, but he doesn't appear as though he is prepared to take that leap . I'm pretty sure he will be getting the right encouragement from Pep, but I don't get the impression that John truly believes in himself.

I would love to see him exude confidence to match his ability but I fear it will not happen overnight.

Possibly an extended run in the team will help .

That means more than pointing. McMinimum was good at that.

IMO Ota is more likely to take the lead than Stones.

Didn’t they play together a lot in the first half of last season or are my faculties failing me (again)?

It doesn't seem to be his natural demeanour to be that voice though .

At age 25 if he was that type of personality, I would have expected to have seen signs of it by now, and he hasn't shown it. Whether it is a confidence issue or self-belief issue I am not sure, but he doesn't appear as though he is prepared to take that leap . I'm pretty sure he will be getting the right encouragement from Pep, but I don't get the impression that John truly believes in himself.

I would love to see him exude confidence to match his ability but I fear it will not happen overnight.

Possibly an extended run in the team will help .
I agree, I was thinking with Vinnie gone he might find his voice.
A extended run can surely only be good for the lad, he has been through small phases of good form before ending up with an injury.

Didn’t they play together a lot in the first half of last season or are my faculties failing me (again)?
I am sure there was a stat the other day and it was a handful of games, I was surprised myself.

They played a lot of the centurians season and before that i think,they have plenty of good history together,both are rusty and need games together,people will have to be patient,no point throwing them under the bus every week,lazy sods like gundy need to get pressing and help them out but i doubt that will happen,the whole team were half arsed pressing on sat,hopefully it's the early kick up the arse they need

Soon, in the short term means "until Fernandino is up to speed", in the medium term means "until Laporte is back", and in the long term "until the summer". Unless Garcia or THB massively step up between now and the end of the season we're buying a centerback this summer and if he wants to be a meaningful player for us he needs to get better before that happens.

Also Stones isn't the only ball playing centerback on the team. Laporte isn't retired, he's coming back.
We will most likely buy a CB in January and another in the summer, all players need the challenge, there is a common belief that Fernandinho can play CB well anybody can but all have a standard and his is nowhere near as good as Stones, i do not know if you have noticed but Laporte is a LCB and does not challenge Stones,
There is a chance that Pep will go with a back three of Stones Rodri/Fernandinho,Ottamendi but this depends on Mendy, so i do not see your soon actually happening

I'm curious as to how you know that Fernandinho is nowhere near as good as Stones at CB?
Fernandinho is obviously capable, but if he was even close Pep would have played him there, Kompany and Stones have both had injuries at the same time and Pep moved Ottamendi across to what should be his strongest position, and we all know how awful he is in that position, not a dig at Ottamendi in the past he has shoved the critics words down their mouths when playing on the left i just think he is one season past his best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.