The back four isn’t title winning quality

We do not know whether the defence will be good enough.

Of course we don’t know but they numbers don’t lie. Stones and Otamendi partnership is not the most stable and communicative centre back pairing. They are both in need of someone commanding like Laporte in order to play well.
I watched Aston Villa tonight and their back pairing Engels and Mings (for probably around 40m) make our players look like schoolboys. Passing is one thing, but they have to know by now how to fukcing defend. It’s their job so enough of excuses. We should expect them to defend as we expect Aguero as a striker to score goals. It’s. Their. Job. Or do we settle with saying ”nah Aguero is a nice guy! And his passing is great, so leave him alone!”.

I know one of our most expensive investments in the defensive department Mendy has been injured since joining, but what teh fck are we doing with our money? With our spending we should have the most stable defenders in the league. What we saw against Norwich wasn’t good enough. School boy errors, and I don’t care if the truth hurts. Someone has to say it.

Oh no Aguero isnt good enough - Buy another striker
Kompany is finished at this club - Buy another defender
Ferny wont be able to play another season - Buy someone new
LB / Zinchecnko doesnt work - Buy another LB
Stones cant pass - SAck him
Sterling isnt good enough, cant score- Get rid
passing out of the back wont work - The media said so!
Peps football wont work in this country - Sack him
KDB injury means we cant win the prem - we're doomed

All the above was started by pundits and our media haters - Just like the Laporte bullshit. It's written for fans of other teams to get excited about, why some mcfc fans join in with feeding this bullshit propaganda I dont know

Learn from the above - We always find a way.
You're spot on G.T.

I'm the biggest critic of the broadcasting media and press in this country. I've always maintained that there is a major media bias against us and the mindless followers of rags and dippers lap it up.

The narrative is relentless "Manchester City buy their success and are a scourge on English football" whereas The rags and Liverpool can't put a foot wrong.

If Liverpool were to have lost to Norwich this weekend I wonder how the press would have reported it?

Going to be a very big ask this season to win the league.
Of course we don’t know but they numbers don’t lie. Stones and Otamendi partnership is not the most stable and communicative centre back pairing. They are both in need of someone commanding like Laporte in order to play well.
I watched Aston Villa tonight and their back pairing Engels and Mings (for probably around 40m) make our players look like schoolboys. Passing is one thing, but they have to know by now how to fukcing defend. It’s their job so enough of excuses. We should expect them to defend as we expect Aguero as a striker to score goals. It’s. Their. Job. Or do we settle with saying ”nah Aguero is a nice guy! And his passing is great, so leave him alone!”.

I know one of our most expensive investments in the defensive department Mendy has been injured since joining, but what teh fck are we doing with our money? With our spending we should have the most stable defenders in the league. What we saw against Norwich wasn’t good enough. School boy errors, and I don’t care if the truth hurts. Someone has to say it.
City's transfer spending has generally been excellent. See laporte

funny thing, the back four won a premier league title.
That wasn't the main back 4 for either title wins delph was in the first season and laporte became was brought in at january and was an starter when he arrived. In the second season it was laporte playing of course. The stones and ottamendi partnership has always looked shaky at times thats why laporte slotted straight in.

Walker, Stones, Nico and Zinch have been a big part of a double title winning defensive unit who, over those two seasons, conceded far fewer goals than the much wanked over Liverpool back line. Defenders mistakes are always unfairly highlighted.

To say that stalwarts of a double title winning team aren't title winning quality is daft. To say it after an unexpected away loss bears all the hallmarks of a knee jerk reaction.
You're forgetting they had laporte playing with them they don't have that anymore and their errors are being exposed a lot more.

I think players like Walker and Otamendi respond well to competition.

It couldn't hurt to give the back 4 a bit of a shake:

Cancelo Stones Garcia Zinchenko

I can see Walker and Otamendi benefiting from the rest mentally and coming back stronger.

(ofc trust in Pep etc etc)

Of course.

But this current, older, Fernandinho would have sprinted across to Lamela and the Brighton lad (he’d have probably taken a booking to stop the Brighton lad) because that’s what Fern is all about and Lamela wouldn’t have scored and Laporte wouldn’t have got injured.

I’m actually quite impressed with Rodri but he’s very slow off the mark and hasn’t had the desire to close certain situations down or find space to be passed to and we still have Fernandinho on our books.

And we all know Laporte is brilliant! I love watching him play.

Yet it’s Stones who’s done nowt wrong who’s got a lot of stick since Saturday. Yet our brilliant Laporte has been at fault for two goals.

I find that wildly unfair on Stones.

The thing this post forgets is that Fernandinho wasn’t great (he was ok) in his first 3 months or so, but picked up rapidly from after that period.

We were pretty damn poor away from home and part of that was because he was rash into challenges and hadn’t quite settled in.

It’s like declaring Bernardo Silva brilliant compared to a new signing of a similar style but then you have to remember that Bernardo was as average as it got in our terms until January of his first season.

We should also try and avoid the fantasy that Fernandinho would stop every goal we ever concede from now on.

For what it’s worth I’d say Rodri is settling into the team faster than the majority of new signings we make do and that’s an absolutely brilliant sign. There’s a reason he’s considered one of the best in the world, and potentially the best in his position, by those who’ve seen him regularly.

Early next year and into next season and we’ll be looking at an unstoppable. He just needs time to reach his peak, just like most others.

Last edited:
We ain’t winning this title, period. Lumping the daughter’s college fund on Liverpool winning the title

I did the very same for the Semi-Final and Final of the FArce Cup - a tenner on Brighton and a tenner on Watford! Lost the lot! Never bet on City in a positive way - never bet on 'em in a negative way. They will confound you.

Why didn't I put the twenty quid on City winning 6-0? Anybody have a tenner on that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.