******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, you are of course right Ancoats, we should all ignore what the England Captain said, and what the Australian Captain said. We should ignore all of the pundits from Oz and the UK (Ponting, Gower, Botham, Agnew, Maxwell, Vaughan) who unanimously lauded a great summer of cricket. We should ignore the hundreds of thousands of spectators who went to watch live cricket (many for the first time in their lives), and we need to ignore the millions who watched on tv and listened on the radio.

We should ignore what many, including Alistair Cook and Geoff Boycott (two of the greatest ever openers for England) called the greatest batting display they had ever seen. We should ignore a young lad bowling at 95+ mph in his first ashes series, we should ignore the second biggest haul of runs by an individual in 4 Test matches since Viv Richards and we should ignore some amazingly athletic pieces of catching in the field. We should even ignore only the 5th tied world cup game ever.

We should ignore the thousands of people across the UK who, wherever they happened to be, at a local cricket game, at a county cricket match, at the football, at the beach, at music festivals and those in the pubs up and down the country, all stopped what they were doing to watch or listen to two moments of intense sporting intrigue,and edge of the seat excitement and drama that literally stopped the country for a few moments.

We should ignore all that, we should ignore it and listen to you, a boring, one trick pony who only ever moans about cricket, who never says anything positive and barely anything interesting, who just reels out the same boring criticisms every time a game is played. You know what mate, if you didn't enjoy this summer for the Great Summer of Cricket that it undoubtedly was, it might just be that you don't like cricket, which is fair enough, but if that is the case, fuck off somewhere else to do your moaning.
As an Aussie, I'm jealous of England's summer. Yes, we 'won' the ashes but that was just cos Smith is a freak. You won a world cup classic and Stokes had the best ashes moment ever. That's not all that shabby. A lot more people like/respect the sport as a result. I hope that doesn't come across too condescending..im drunk af

Yup, you are of course right Ancoats, we should all ignore what the England Captain said, and what the Australian Captain said. We should ignore all of the pundits from Oz and the UK (Ponting, Gower, Botham, Agnew, Maxwell, Vaughan) who unanimously lauded a great summer of cricket. We should ignore the hundreds of thousands of spectators who went to watch live cricket (many for the first time in their lives), and we need to ignore the millions who watched on tv and listened on the radio.

We should ignore what many, including Alistair Cook and Geoff Boycott (two of the greatest ever openers for England) called the greatest batting display they had ever seen. We should ignore a young lad bowling at 95+ mph in his first ashes series, we should ignore the second biggest haul of runs by an individual in 4 Test matches since Viv Richards and we should ignore some amazingly athletic pieces of catching in the field. We should even ignore only the 5th tied world cup game ever.

We should ignore the thousands of people across the UK who, wherever they happened to be, at a local cricket game, at a county cricket match, at the football, at the beach, at music festivals and those in the pubs up and down the country, all stopped what they were doing to watch or listen to two moments of intense sporting intrigue,and edge of the seat excitement and drama that literally stopped the country for a few moments.

We should ignore all that, we should ignore it and listen to you, a boring, one trick pony who only ever moans about cricket, who never says anything positive and barely anything interesting, who just reels out the same boring criticisms every time a game is played. You know what mate, if you didn't enjoy this summer for the Great Summer of Cricket that it undoubtedly was, it might just be that you don't like cricket, which is fair enough, but if that is the case, fuck off somewhere else to do your moaning.

Great post. Whichever way you slice it, it's been a fantastic summer of cricket. A World Cup win on home soil followed by a keenly contested Ashes series on home soil with some unreal finishes in the WC Final and the Headingley test (I was literally shaking like a shitting dog when Stokes hit the winning runs in that match) - we couldn't ask for much more apart from actually winning the Ashes series. Sure, there were obvious flaws in the team during the Ashes that we've all discussed on here but a 2-2 draw in the same summer we won the World Cup for the first time isn't too shabby, especially when you consider all the routine spankings we were handed on home soil by the Aussies in every series between 1989 and 2001.

Great post. Whichever way you slice it, it's been a fantastic summer of cricket. A World Cup win on home soil followed by a keenly contested Ashes series on home soil with some unreal finishes in the WC Final and the Headingley test (I was literally shaking like a shitting dog when Stokes hit the winning runs in that match) - we couldn't ask for much more apart from actually winning the Ashes series. Sure, there were obvious flaws in the team during the Ashes that we've all discussed on here but a 2-2 draw in the same summer we won the World Cup for the first time isn't too shabby, especially when you consider all the routine spankings we were handed on home soil by the Aussies in every series between 1989 and 2001.
Yeh but Mr Miserable said it’s been shite, stop being so positive.

As I said previously, at the beginning of the year the majority would have took a home World Cup win over retaining the Ashes. No complaints from me and we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves. Minus the best batsman in the world, we just about edge them in my opinion.

"Shaking like a shitting dog". I must remember that one!

Yeh but Mr Miserable said it’s been shite, stop being so positive.

As I said previously, at the beginning of the year the majority would have took a home World Cup win over retaining the Ashes. No complaints from me and we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves. Minus the best batsman in the world, we just about edge them in my opinion.

Really ?
That would hugely surprise me

Really ?
That would hugely surprise me
We’ve never won the one day World Cup and it was on home soil, it was a oncee in a lifetime opportunity.

The ashes, as great as it is to win wasn’t a one off series. In my lifetime I’ll see us to win and lose this the ashes many times, I already have. How many times will we get the chance to win the World Cup at home?

I know it’s completely different but if there was a football equivalent against Scotland or Germany, you’d much rather win the 66 World Cup over something that comes around every two years.

As an Aussie, I'm jealous of England's summer. Yes, we 'won' the ashes but that was just cos Smith is a freak. You won a world cup classic and Stokes had the best ashes moment ever. That's not all that shabby. A lot more people like/respect the sport as a result. I hope that doesn't come across too condescending..im drunk af

It doesn’t at all and the World Cup and Stokes moment has injected energy into the public’s view of cricket.

I must pull you up on winning the Ashes though. You retained them via drawing the series, which is fair and square and how it works but it wasn’t “won”.

We’ve never won the one day World Cup and it was on home soil, it was a oncee in a lifetime opportunity.

The ashes, as great as it is to win wasn’t a one off series. In my lifetime I’ll see us to win and lose this the ashes many times, I already have. How many times will we get the chance to win the World Cup at home?

I know it’s completely different but if there was a football equivalent against Scotland or Germany, you’d much rather win the 66 World Cup over something that comes around every two years.

Fair enough, i just look on test cricket as the true test of a players ability, the shorter versions of the game are all a bit hit & hope for me.

Bless him. Couldn’t believe when I saw ancoats moaning on here just after we’d won the World Cup.

It doesn’t at all and the World Cup and Stokes moment has injected energy into the public’s view of cricket.

I must pull you up on winning the Ashes though. You retained them via drawing the series, which is fair and square and how it works but it wasn’t “won”.
Probably why he used inverted commas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.