Bluemoon Angling Thread

Had a session on the Llangollen canal. It's one of the hardest places I know to get your head around.

It's stuffed with good roach, which is what we go for, but boat traffic is horrendous and the flow is like a river so you are effectively trotting. Had 11 good roach and dace in the half hour before the first boat and only 6 more fish, including 2 gudgeon in the rest of the day. Don't live close enough to get there earlier so it's very frustrating.

Every year we think there must be a "window of opportunity" between the number of boats declining to manageable proportions and when they stop altogether and the canal goes clear and the fishing dies. Just can't manage to hit it. Maybe this year.

We had a very good week on the Wye last week where the routine was to catch carp on the surface in the mornings and barbel in the afternoon. The river was clear with a slightly irritating amount of weed coming down, but I caught multiple barbel every day. the most was 5 in a day but for some reason the big ones eluded me: I had loads of 8s and 9s up to 9-8 but none bigger.

Did some lure fishing for perch too and caught some but none bigger than a pound. Also went out on my local canal on Sunday with the lure rod and caught 12 perch to 1-4.

Do you see other anglers or is it remote ?
It’s a really popular stretch of river, quite a few outfitters operate guided trips down there. People come from all over the world to fish it. It doesn’t cost anything for a private trip

It’s a really popular stretch of river, quite a few outfitters operate guided trips down there. People come from all over the world to fish it. It doesn’t cost anything for a private trip

I was only wondering beause it looks beautiful. But I'm a really anti-social angler and seek out places where I wouldn't see anyone (except my fishing partners) for days. I love the idea of canoeing a remote river, fishing where I stop the canoe, lighting a fire and camping out.

I was only wondering beause it looks beautiful. But I'm a really anti-social angler and seek out places where I wouldn't see anyone (except my fishing partners) for days. I love the idea of canoeing a remote river, fishing where I stop the canoe, lighting a fire and camping out.
There are plenty of options like that but this one's only half hour from my house

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.