Does anyone actually love their job?

bit of a love hate relationship with work at the moment.

my industry of choice is video games, I made games for 20 years. but the industry is notoriously overtime heavy and flakey on the stability front. I moved out into making apps and while the hours dropped and the stability is better ( so far ) the job is pretty unchallenging right now so growing bored of it.

I want to make games with the normal hours and stability!.

What part of gamedev are you/were you in? I'm in vfx (broadly speaking, non-realtime) and whilst the industry at large is pretty notorious for the same things as games, disciplines and company sizes can make for very different experiences, opposite even. I don't work on the top tier projects, but I make a decent living, generally leave on time every day, and have fun doing it. I know a few people who once they decided to step back from the bleeding edge were much happier for it. Not sure if the same thing applies in games of course but must be some good shops out there.

I quite like my job actually. Don’t love working but as far as jobs go it’s alright

I like my job but don’t like management.

I’ve been doing my job for eight years - it’s an individual job in the company that nobody else does and nobody else in the company has done and nobody else knows much about the details that go into it - yet management think they know what’s best when it comes to it and don’t listen to my “expert” and only experienced opinion on it.

Plus management is massively top heavy, there are more managers than admin staff. And I can see right though most of them as inexperienced know-nowts.

But the day-to-day detail of what I do is alright.

In reality it’s the best job that I could find, that I am skilled enough to do, that gives me the most money I could get for the amount of time off I could get.

So that’ll do for me.

In the midst of the busiest periods I feel like I need to quit, I’m that stressed and overworked! But then I get ten weeks off a year and I FUCKING LOVE(!) the time off. So it’s well worth it.

I’m very happy in my job, I only have to work 20-25 hours a week which is mainly from home in a consultancy role developing training courses. Pretty well paid, great work life balance and I get to travel around the country as and when I choose to trial the new or updated courses/content.

Never loved any job I have had but aside from one small tenure can't recall working anywhere I didn't love working with my colleagues.

Current job on the face of it should be ideal - self employed contractor - my own boss- decent pay - suit myself hours and no-one looking over my shoulder - however the work isn't mentally taxing and the lack of being managed makes it unfulfilling. I'll take the dosh and rumble on to retirement but no all in all work sucks - people are great though they make any job.

Worked in a job where the pressure was on from the moment I walked in at 8am to the moment I switched off my PC and went home, at 6pm if I was lucky. Loved it but the career clock was ticking and I wanted to move up the ladder, which I wasn't going to do where I was. So moved to a very prestigious role at one of the top companies in their field. I was doing cartwheels when the headhunter told me I'd sailed through a gruelling assessment process but when I started I just wasn't under the same pressure as I'd been used to in my old job even though I was at a higher level and ended up with depression.

After that I worked for myself and basically just did it for the money and if I got a lot of satisfaction from the job I was doing that was a bonus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.