John Humphrys retires from Radio 4 Today

I met John Humphrys at a conference I was running nearly a decade ago. He came across as a good guy but he was being paid to be there.

He seems to have upset some snowflakes along the way from both ends of the political spectrum. I think he will be missed by most.

Give over with your snowflake bollocks, Andrew Neil upset a lot of folk as well, didn't stop him from being a right wing arsehole.

I've met both of them when I did some work for what was the DTI, they are right wing whores.

The state of our politics is not just down to our politicians but those who were supposed to hold them to account.

Humphries was a shouty little home counties Tory, it informed everything he did, good riddance.

Last edited:
Give over with your snowflake bollocks, Andrew Neil upset a lot of folk as well, didn't stop him from being a right wing arsehole.

I've met them both of them when I did some work for what was the DTI, they were right wing whores, both of them.

The state of our politics is not just down to our politicians but those who were supposed to hold them to account.

Humphries was a shouty little home counties Tory, it informed everything he did, good riddance.
Thought he was Welsh?

I've met them both of them when I did some work for what was the DTI, they were right wing whores, both of them.

Have you got the right Humphrys mate?

I take your point that he’s a Tory but we’d have very few broadcasters if we ruled out everyone who had ever voted. I haven’t noticed the bias you accuse him off but I’m not saying that isn’t the case.

Btw I too have worked with the DTI and it was full of right wing leaning people parachuted in from industry. That included some of Tony Bkair’s Mates.

Have you got the right Humphrys mate?

I take your point that he’s a Tory but we’d have very few broadcasters if we ruled out everyone who had ever voted. I haven’t noticed the bias you accuse him off but I’m not saying that isn’t the case.

Btw I too have worked with the DTI and it was full of right wing leaning people parachuted in from industry. That included some of Tony Bkair’s Mates.

Let's agree to disagree on Humphries, but you're dead right about the various trade departments, I've had the misfortune of working with the likes of Mandelson, Digby Jones, Cable and Liam Fox to name but a few scumbags.

The recollection still makes my skin crawl, they were, in their different ways, either as dumb as a doorknob about trade or snidey little fuckers, or both.

Let's agree to disagree on Humphries, but you're dead right about the various trade departments, I've had the misfortune of working with the likes of Mandelson, Digby Jones, Cable and Liam Fox to name but a few scumbags.

The recollection still makes my skin crawl, they were, in their different ways, either as dumb as a doorknob about trade or snidey little fuckers, or both.

Spot on pf. I’ve been reduced to Talkshite in recent years so you’ve probably got a better idea about JH.

Btw, I found the middle to DTI senior officials / managers were very good (in the main) at whet they were tasked to do. Block any changes to laws they might have a negative impact on their friends in industry. This worked up to a point but often the public sector was licking up the tab (in my case about the European Working Time Directive impacting on doctors training. The DTI people then returned to industry in higher jobs.

I met John Humphrys at a conference I was running nearly a decade ago. He came across as a good guy but he was being paid to be there.

He seems to have upset some snowflakes along the way from both ends of the political spectrum. I think he will be missed by most.

I think the issue is that he has the tendancy to be a bit sloppy and inconsistent. He will at times be on point and really go after someone on detail but then the next day allow a politician to get away with blatant hypocrisy or miss the obvious follow up questions when politicians are clearly on shaky ground and the facts/evidence flies in the face of the arguments they are making.

Balance is becoming a huge issue for journalists and you have to be on it with the right questions or you will get it from one side or the other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.