FC United Thread

As part of my new duties as a volunteer dog walker at Manchester Dogs Home,I have ended up walking off Moston Vale and then along Monsall Road towards Oldham road.
And on the left hand side of Monsall Road is a huge swathe of land where the old Monsall Hospital grounds were. It is all fenced off now,and getting very overgrown,full of trees and buses.
This plot of land is where FCUM should have built there new stadium,plenty of space for a 5000 seater stadium and associated car parking etc. Hardly any neighbours to annoy/disturb/make complaints etc. Easy access to Oldham Road one way,and Rochdale Road the other way. Walk back into town in 20 minutes or so,and their very own Metrolink stop at Monsall.
The Councillors who pushed to use parkland on Broadhurst Fields should hang their heads in shame.
I (as part of the "No campaign") enquired about this very piece of land being a good site. However the land is owned by the NHS and not the council and as suggested above, because it was a contagious disease hospital the land is deemed contaminated for 25 years and will be expensive to survey.

Last edited:
Moston Brook high School was where GMP HQ is now,along with the offices on the other side of the road(Fujitsu etc.)
United had a few homes in the late 19th Century,(as did City) the most well known one was Bank Street,and that was situated on what is now the public car park of The Velodrome.
The land/field I am talking about was where Monsall Hospital used to be situated for around 100 years. It closed in 1993 apparently.
the police HQ is on the opposite side of the road to the school. The school was on the left as you come up from Miles Platting towards Church Lane

Newton heath loco was on the opposite side to moston brook school, nearer to Oldham road.

not 100% but united did play off northampton road on the moston brook side of the road
There used to be a plaque on the entrance to the school stating it was the site of the ground until someone nicked it.
Officially the ground was on North Road not Northhampton. Road. I thought it was nearer to the railway line than the school as mentioned above. Maybe part of the ground covered the school site. Must be a map somewhere.

Last edited:
There used to be a plaque on the entrance to the school stating it was the site of the ground until someone nicked it.
Officially the ground was on North Road not Northhampton. Road. I thought it was nearer to the railway line than the school as mentioned above. Maybe part of the ground covered the school site. Must be a map somewhere.

It was behind where the job centre is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.