Sega Mega Drive Mini

Thinking of getting one of these to relive my youth, and to show my kids the games I played when I was their age. Is it worth it, or will the games just seem shit now compared to modern games? £69 with 42 games included seems decent value.
It's great for us, but if you think your kids will give a shit then you're mistaken. My boss got the Megadrive out and was showing his kids some of the classic games like Streets of Rage, Altered Beast, Sonic etc and they just laughed at the music and shit graphics and went back to playing their Xbox. You're best just getting ports, i remember Playstation did one, Xbox might as well. You can def get them on PC, even on Steam.

Got the SNES mini and tbh, as cool as it is to own one, as its a nice little thing to look at, most of the games haven't aged well. There are one or two exceptions, but yeah. I can presume it'd be the same for the Sega Mega Drive Mini. I'm a pretty avid gamer though so maybe that's only heightened it.

It's not even a graphics thing - its in a gameplay way too. There are lots of modern games that are still released with a pixel/2d style like most of these had, but they're modern, so they're super responsive, varied in their challenges and have a helluva load of variety. Just better designed in general due to the industry learning loads and improving their craft. Most of the older ones are exceptionally crude when compared. Slow in terms of response, repetitive and a bit too simple. Not all of them of course, but games are largely better today, simply because the industry is just much more experienced.

Tl:dr - it'll be something you pick up, mess around with for a night or two, and then probably never go back to it again. That's what I did, despite loving all those SNES games when I grew up. Nowt wrong with that of course, but i'd say lower your expectations. As others have said, doubt your kids will give a shit really.

Got the SNES mini and tbh, as cool as it is to own one, as its a nice little thing to look at, most of the games haven't aged well. There are one or two exceptions, but yeah. I can presume it'd be the same for the Sega Mega Drive Mini. I'm a pretty avid gamer though so maybe that's only heightened it.

It's not even a graphics thing - its in a gameplay way too. There are lots of modern games that are still released with a pixel/2d style like most of these had, but they're modern, so they're super responsive, varied in their challenges and have a helluva load of variety. Just better designed in general due to the industry learning loads and improving their craft. Most of the older ones are exceptionally crude when compared. Slow in terms of response, repetitive and a bit too simple. Not all of them of course, but games are largely better today, simply because the industry is just much more experienced.

Tl:dr - it'll be something you pick up, mess around with for a night or two, and then probably never go back to it again. That's what I did, despite loving all those SNES games when I grew up. Nowt wrong with that of course, but i'd say lower your expectations. As others have said, doubt your kids will give a shit really.
I doubt they would give a shit as most old games were rock hard. And you died. Lots.

I'd make a boast that the music was better as well.

Can anyone tell me how I can play jet set willy again? Think it was on the Zx spectrum?

If you're looking for a trip down memory lane, just get an emulator on laptop or even play them in browser.

I've yet to meet anyone who didn't buy one for a nostalgia spin and then leave it after a few goes. I can however say i'm fond of playing them on my laptop on a winter afternoon or evening. I'm a tosspot but winter isn't complete for me without a runthrough of James Pond 2.

Really showing myself up now but the sound keys are also slightly off on these plug and play sets and if you remember the sounds and music of the games well, you will notice a clear difference.

What games are on the SNES mini? Mario Karts?

I have just built a period correct XP gaming PC which plays older games really well, all in it cost me around £20 to construct and a few hours to install windows XP with all the correct service packs etc.
It's not worth going online with it to do anything but install everything you need via usb and it's a nippy little beast, pentium 4, 3 gb of RAM and a tidy 256mb Nvidia graphics card installed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.