When the gods smiled on us

A friend of mine went to this one and said he couldn't believe we had won 5-1 with David White hitting 4

I loved Quinn's contributions back then. It wasnt just his amazingly accurate heading. His stretches to get a toe to something was also excellent. And he had some decent footballing skill. I loved watching us then - just as much if not more than today.

It's interesting how we can recall individual games from 20 years ago or more as being fluky and undeserved wins, as it's such a rare occurrence for us.

When there are certain other sides (who shall remain nameless) who seem to get fluky, undeserved and ''contentious'' results despite being outplayed by their opponents, virtually every other week on average.

Going further back, the 1970 League Cup SF 2nd leg at the swamp. Lee's indirect free kick late in the game went straight through the wall and Stepney instinctively (and inexplicably) saved only for the rebound to fall to Buzzer to score and send us to Wembley. If Stepney had left the ball it would have remained level on aggregate & no doubt have gone to ET. With the rags on top at the time they may well have gone on to win. The gods smiled on us that night.

There was a game against Kevin Keegan's Fulham when Michael Brown should have been red carded for a couple of violent challenges. The referee preferred a strong lecture and City bullied Fulham for the rest of the game.
Similarly, Stephen Jordan had the best game of his life against United, but was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Honourable mentions

City 1 Liverpool 0 1985-86
City 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0 1986-87
City 2 Villa 1 1990-91
Birmingham 0 City 1 1999-2000
Blackburn 1 City 4 1999-2000
Leeds 1 City 2 2000-01
City 1 United 0 2007-08

Sergio's winner against Swansea in the FA cup. Wasn't there another lucky break with Swansea in the league ? I think it was Sterling goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.