Best type of dog

Decide what you want/don’t want out of a dog and what you can give.

Loads of walks? Company all day? Hunter? Lap dog? Big? Small? Sheds hairs? Quiet or vocal? Puppy or adult? Biddable? Rescue? Etc, etc.

Then check out breed characteristics online. Pets 4 homes has useful info.

Number one tip though. Unless you can give it serious attention for the next 10/15 years and you can afford the upkeep, particularly health-related, don’t get one.

Springer. Energy to burn to deal with kids but gentle and neurotic with affection.

I love them but have had mixed experience. One had “springer rage” and attacked a smaller one so badly, he had to be put down. Had to have the springer re-homed at the age of two. That was unlucky though.

It’s only fair to own a springer if you can give plenty of exercise. They are intelligent dogs who need stimulation. (Not of the Roy Keane variety, I hasten to add.)

I love them but have had mixed experience. One had “springer rage” and attacked a smaller one so badly, he had to be put down. Had to have the springer re-homed at the age of two.

Also, it’s only fair to own a springer if you can give plenty of exercise. The
Shouldn't have an issue with aggression (ie pent up energy) if they're being sufficiently exercised, same with any working breed. Seen Labs recommended on here and you'd have the same issue with them unexercised.

Just got my second cocker spaniel on Tuesday, love the little bastards. They are soppy cunts but they are lovely dogs, generally pretty clever and trainable and good around kids and the like. Main criteria though was they are the right size, big enough to do proper dog stuff and not be embarrassed to be seen with it, not so big that it can get at stuff on the counters. Depends what you want though, most dogs are ace (except Lhasa Rapsu's and Shi Tzu's, they are almost all cunts)

We've got a labrador that's just over a year old - mad as fook, just wants to play all the time, but not a bad bone in his body.

The little shit of a Lhasa Rapsu is a completely different story. Lovely in the house, but take her for a walk and it's like she's had 15 stellas and wants to take on the world. Fearless she is and cannot be trained out of it. Hate taking them both out for a walk together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.