Bluemoon Angling Thread

I was out this week on Coldingham Loch which had been fishing hard as nails. I was pretty satisfied with the 7 rainbows I caught and released. One on a dry but all the others on a slow intermediate line pulling Fabs, Blobs and Boobies. Quite unusual as they would normally respond bette4 to more imitative tactics. Down to fish Eyebrook on the 1st October for our annual competition with one of the major English Banks. Hope the weather holds reasonably consistent. What is more certain is that a great deal of malt whisky will be ‘tasted’.

That’s interesting. Part of the enjoyment of fly fishing is spending time in a boat with another angler where you can choose either to have a social day or a pretty much silent one depending on the circumstances. You also learn a great deal if you are fishing with a more experienced angler. Having said that, there are times I like to go out myself.

I regularly fish with a mate, including pike fishing from a boat. I enjoy the social/sharing aspect of it, but we both keep our voices and banging down. It's inconsiderate anglers who do my head in.

Couple of weeks ago I was on a lovely stretch of the Trent. The nearest group of anglers were about 400 yards downstream and were talking/shouting/laughing at full volume. Even though at that distance it probably didn't spook my fish or ruin my swim - maybe even the opposite - the noise destroyed my "karma".

I regularly fish with a mate, including pike fishing from a boat. I enjoy the social/sharing aspect of it, but we both keep our voices and banging down. It's inconsiderate anglers who do my head in.

Couple of weeks ago I was on a lovely stretch of the Trent. The nearest group of anglers were about 400 yards downstream and were talking/shouting/laughing at full volume. Even though at that distance it probably didn't spook my fish or ruin my swim - maybe even the opposite - the noise destroyed my "karma".
I know what you mean. I bloody hate bad manners in a boat. Anglers that cut right across your drift when they could easily go round the back of your boat really boil my piss. Just a good job the boats aren’t equipped with torpedoes. Another no no is clattering the anchor chain in the bottom of the boat. Scares every trout in a half mile radius! Mainly all is calm though, just you, your thoughts and fish rising gently to sip midges off the surface.

Which stretch were you on mate ?

There's a pub at Hindford, the Jack Mytton which is now abandoned and derelict. Landlord did a runner which is karma for (justifiably, in fairness) bollocking me for parking in his car park without permission.

Means it's a bit quieter now but still solid boat traffic. Great roach though. I understand that they're such a good strain the EA take them out for stocking purposes. Could be bollocks though.

I am looking at a few back end days salmon fishing on the Dee (Scottish)
I know back end 'kipper bashin' isn't everyones cup of tea, and I get poo pooed by the purists, but....

The river Wye's salmon population has been close to non existent all season.
WUF and fuckin NRW are not fit for purpose and are a total fuckin disgrace.
I have lived near this river over 50 years and can't remember it being so shit.

Don't even start me on canoeists, fuckin body boarders, free swimmers, cormorants, goosanders and salmon farms.

Cunts.... Rant over.

There's a pub at Hindford, the Jack Mytton which is now abandoned and derelict. Landlord did a runner which is karma for (justifiably, in fairness) bollocking me for parking in his car park without permission.

Means it's a bit quieter now but still solid boat traffic. Great roach though. I understand that they're such a good strain the EA take them out for stocking purposes. Could be bollocks though.
The bit I used to fish was in Llangollen, towards Horseshoe Falls, no boats go that way because it is a dead end.

I am looking at a few back end days salmon fishing on the Dee (Scottish)
I know back end 'kipper bashin' isn't everyones cup of tea, and I get poo pooed by the purists, but....

The river Wye's salmon population has been close to non existent all season.
WUF and fuckin NRW are not fit for purpose and are a total fuckin disgrace.
I have lived near this river over 50 years and can't remember it being so shit.

Don't even start me on canoeists, fuckin body boarders, free swimmers, cormorants, goosanders and salmon farms.

Cunts.... Rant over.

My mate is on his way back rom the Tyne and reckons they are getting fish on the Derwent near Cockermouth. He's pissed off because he's a member there and could have saved money and stood a chance of getting a fish.

Interesting. I'll research that
If you drive out of Llangollen, towards the Horseshoe Pass, past the big place where the hold the Eisteddfod on the right, there is a layby about 1/4 mile on your right. Park in there which is right next to the canal, then go left towards Horseshoe falls. Lovely and quiet, the only boat is the horse drawn one with the tourists, but it only goes so far up anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.