Bundesliga 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly? ;-)

Hamburg is brown and white tonite. 1st derby home win since 1960...
Congratulations. I caught the last 20 minutes. Of course your feelings are obvious as a St Pauli win but I’m more intrigued with how our resident Köln and Frankfurt fans view the two Hamburg teams.

I know St Pauli are a cult club but for a lot of Europe, Celtic might be looked at in a similar light. Here in the UK though, Celtic are more of a cünt club than cult.

I’d like to visit Hamburg and no trip would be complete without a match. I’d currently go to either.

Some nice pyro action at the Hamburg derby:

Overall I personally like St.Pauli better than HSV. I absolutely hate HSV and want them to rot in Buli2 until the end of time (or at least a couple of years) and I think for a while they have been the most hated club in Germany right after Bayern. Its simply the fact that they are a shower of shit that somehow managed to escape relegation way too many times and I am pretty sure everyone outside of Hamburg celebrated once they finally got down.

They used to have this annoying clock at their ground showing how long they have been a member of the Bundesliga and it was such a pleasure to see them get relegated and finally have to take this clock down.

St.Pauli is a club that splits Germany as well I think. You either love them or hate them. There are a lot of football fans (especially from the East of Germany) who absolutely hate them because they are on the far left side of the political spectrum while the East German clubs are usually more on the right side of things.

They are a bit like vegans in the sense that they like to talk to everyone about how "different" they are as a club/set of fans while they are happily milking the cash cow and selling their skull and crossbones flags/shirts etc.

There used to be a saying that St. Pauli are like the local beer "Astra". Shit product with great marketing behind it.... ;-)

Some nice pyro action at the Hamburg derby:

Overall I personally like St.Pauli better than HSV. I absolutely hate HSV and want them to rot in Buli2 until the end of time (or at least a couple of years) and I think for a while they have been the most hated club in Germany right after Bayern. Its simply the fact that they are a shower of shit that somehow managed to escape relegation way too many times and I am pretty sure everyone outside of Hamburg celebrated once they finally got down.

They used to have this annoying clock at their ground showing how long they have been a member of the Bundesliga and it was such a pleasure to see them get relegated and finally have to take this clock down.

St.Pauli is a club that splits Germany as well I think. You either love them or hate them. There are a lot of football fans (especially from the East of Germany) who absolutely hate them because they are on the far left side of the political spectrum while the East German clubs are usually more on the right side of things.

They are a bit like vegans in the sense that they like to talk to everyone about how "different" they are as a club/set of fans while they are happily milking the cash cow and selling their skull and crossbones flags/shirts etc.

There used to be a saying that St. Pauli are like the local beer "Astra". Shit product with great marketing behind it.... ;-)

From your first two sentences, it sounds like overall, you personally like any German team more than HSV, with the possible exception of the German rags.

;-)

We lost 3-0 to Arsenal yesterday evening and I am still slightly pissed. Arsenal didnt look as good as the result might indicate and a red card broke our back.
Still think that if we would have converted our multiple chances we could have gotten a win.

Bit frustrating but thats football.

Anyway some pictures:

Flags in the home end
19-20-europaleague-eintracht-frankfurt-arsenal-london-04.jpg

Ticker tape
19-20-europaleague-eintracht-frankfurt-arsenal-london-08.jpg

Banner from the 3 previous home games and the finished picture.
"Eintracht Frankfurt my club! We will be at your side forever"
19-20-europaleague-eintracht-frankfurt-arsenal-london-16.jpg

@Bembeltown What was the "Ehre wem Ehre gebührt, RIP Dosi (?) - Presswerk" about? And I didn't know that Andy Möller is a person non grata in Frankfurt - made me laugh! Obviously great result for Arsenal, tbf Frankfurt should have scored a couple themselves, and who knows what would have happened had Eintracht taken the lead.

@Rhineland: "Presswerk" is one of the older (I think 35 years +) hooligan firms in Frankfurt. They originate from Rüsselsheim where Opel/Vauxhall have their factiory, hence the name "Presswerk". ;-) Dosi was one of their members.

And Andy Möller is not a very well liked person in Frankfurt and one of the reasons for the banner on Thursday was his statement when Frankfurt played against Dortmund in the Cup Final 2017. If you recall he grew up in Frankfurt, played for Frankfurt and we pretty much made him "big" as we were still a top 4 team back then. He later on played for Dortmund and when asked about the cup final he pretty much said that he has no connection to/nothing to do with Frankfurt.

Now this guy is supposed to become the leader of our youth development center which obviously is not considered a great idea by many Frankfurt fans due to the statements he made.

Failed to get a ticket today for Cologne's second round German Cup match away to Saarbrücken on the 29th Oct. Saarbrücken have been playing in a tiny stadium (6.800) at Völklingen near Saarbrücken for a while, only about 1000 for the away section available, sold out in minutes.

Back from a Slovakia>Czechia>Germany>Czechia trip. Will just focus on the Germany aspect of it here.

I spent a couple of days based in Dresden. Considering it was flattened, they have done an absolutely fantastic job of rebuilding it. In terms of "points of interest", I'd say that its only bettered by Berlin in my opinion. The square around the Frauenkirche and Brühl's Terrace were both places I could have happily sat with a beer just people watching for an entire day. But there was football to watch....

I took the train to Chemnitz (formerly Karl Marx Stadt) on the Saturday morning and had about 2 hours to look around. That was probably about 1 and a half hours more than I needed. Not much to see - a big statue of Karl Marx's head and a nice town hall square were the highlights. Given what I had read about the right wing in Chemnitz, I was surprised to find an "intercultural festival" taking place in the town square. Lots of stalls with information on culture and foods from different countries - eg Pakistan, Lebanon, Ukraine, Hungary, Turkey. There were a few people at this, but the whole City just felt a bit quiet - there were hardly any cars on the roads, so it was just a bit eerie.

Walked to the stadium which was about 15 mins from the station. You have to walk under the train tracks through a tunnel. Presumably because it was a bit of a derby, there was quite a big police presence at the station and at the ground but if there was going to be any trouble, it would have taken place in the tunnel I reckon and there were no police there. Didn't see any trouble myself though.

The ground has been completely redeveloped and was a smaller version of Mainz's ground, but still quite large for 3.Liga. Admittedly I didn't understand every word of every song, but I didn't detect any political views and it felt like I could have been at any ground in Germany. Good beer, and good bratwurst as always, some status quo in the build up and mercifully no YNWA.
Chemnitz.jpg

Chemnitz beat Carl Zeiss Jena 3-2 with a goal late on, but it was undeserved in my opinion and the game was generally lacking in quality. Not surprising it was the bottom two teams and CZJ look to have been cut adrift already at this point in the season. Could be a long season for both on the basis of what I saw.

I got the train back immediately after the game, and in the 15 minutes I spent walking from the ground to the train station - back in England, City had kicked off and had scored 5 goals. Not the best game I could have chosen to skip!

On Sunday, having spent the morning exploring more of Dresden, it was time for Dynamo Dresden v Regensburg. This was the 40th different ground in Germany I've been to and the supporters were up there with the best. Neither team had started the season particularly well but the terrace behind the goal was absolutely filled to the brim with people. If they ever get to the Bundesliga again they could fill a ground twice the size of the current one I reckon. The ground itself was very similar to Augsburg from memory (with different coloured seats), and fairly unimaginative and indistinctive on the outside. The whole ground seemed pretty full as far as I could tell, apart from the away section which was about half full, but they still made plenty of noise.

Dresden.jpg

Dresden won it 2-1 with a late goal, but I thought their equaliser was a bit contentious - not sure if its been spoken about in the German media. The new rule this season that the game is stopped if the ball touches the referee was implemented. He ordered a drop ball about 25 yards out, and about 20 seconds later Dresden had scored without a Regensburg player touching the ball.

Would go back to Dresden in a heart beat, and would recommend anyone going.

No further German trips booked at this stage, but I have 6 teams left in Bundesliga 2 that I need to get to at some point.

Last edited:
Back from a Slovakia>Czechia>Germany>Czechia trip. Will just focus on the Germany aspect of it here.

I spent a couple of days based in Dresden. Considering it was flattened, they have done an absolutely fantastic job of rebuilding it. In terms of "points of interest", I'd say that its only bettered by Berlin in my opinion. The square around the Frauenkirche and Brühl's Terrace were both places I could have happily sat with a beer just people watching for an entire day. But there was football to watch....

I took the train to Chemnitz (formerly Karl Marx Stadt) on the Saturday morning and had about 2 hours to look around. That was probably about 1 and a half hours more than I needed. Not much to see - a big statue of Karl Marx's head and a nice town hall square were the highlights. Given what I had read about the right wing in Chemnitz, I was surprised to find an "intercultural festival" taking place in the town square. Lots of stalls with information on culture and foods from different countries - eg Pakistan, Lebanon, Ukraine, Hungary, Turkey. There were a few people at this, but the whole City just felt a bit quiet - there were hardly any cars on the roads, so it was just a bit eerie.

Walked to the stadium which was about 15 mins from the station. You have to walk under the train tracks through a tunnel. Presumably because it was a bit of a derby, there was quite a big police presence at the station and at the ground but if there was going to be any trouble, it would have taken place in the tunnel I reckon and there were no police there. Didn't see any trouble myself though.

The ground has been completely redeveloped and was a smaller version of Mainz's ground, but still quite large for 3.Liga. Admittedly I didn't understand every word of every song, but I didn't detect any political views and it felt like I could have been at any ground in Germany. Good beer, and good bratwurst as always, some status quo in the build up and mercifully no YNWA.
Chemnitz.jpg

Chemnitz beat Carl Zeiss Jena 3-2 with a goal late on, but it was undeserved in my opinion and the game was generally lacking in quality. Not surprising it was the bottom two teams and CZJ look to have been cut adrift already at this point in the season. Could be a long season for both on the basis of what I saw.

I got the train back immediately after the game, and in the 15 minutes I spent walking from the ground to the train station - back in England, City had kicked off and had scored 5 goals. Not the best game I could have chosen to skip!

On Sunday, having spent the morning exploring more of Dresden, it was time for Dynamo Dresden v Regensburg. This was the 40th different ground in Germany I've been to and the supporters were up there with the best. Neither team had started the season particularly well but the terrace behind the goal was absolutely filled to the brim with people. If they ever get to the Bundesliga again they could fill a ground twice the size of the current one I reckon. The ground itself was very similar to Augsburg from memory (with different coloured seats), and fairly unimaginative and indistinctive on the outside. The whole ground seemed pretty full as far as I could tell, apart from the away section which was about half full, but they still made plenty of noise.

Dresden.jpg

Dresden won it 2-1 with a late goal, but I thought their equaliser was a bit contentious - not sure if its been spoken about in the German media. The new rule this season that the game is stopped if the ball touches the referee was implemented. He ordered a drop ball about 25 yards out, and about 20 seconds later Dresden had scored without a Regensburg player touching the ball.

Would go back to Dresden in a heart beat, and would recommend anyone going.

No further German trips booked at this stage, but I have 6 teams left in Bundesliga 2 that I need to get to at some point.

Great post mate. Would be interested to hear your views on Czech football. Managed to catch a few matches watching Slavia, Sparta and Boby Brno many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The Slavia match I managed to attract the attention of the local oddball who presumed I was french, playing Nice in the Europa, but on explaining I was english he bought a round of drinks and all though conversation was strained kept pointing to the ‘kiss’ badge on his denim jacket as evidence of our like mindedness.

I have noted you are quite prominent in the Bundesliga thread which suggests you prefer you this to La liga or Serie A and if so what are your reasons?

Great post mate. Would be interested to hear your views on Czech football. Managed to catch a few matches watching Slavia, Sparta and Boby Brno many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The Slavia match I managed to attract the attention of the local oddball who presumed I was french, playing Nice in the Europa, but on explaining I was english he bought a round of drinks and all though conversation was strained kept pointing to the ‘kiss’ badge on his denim jacket as evidence of our like mindedness.

I have noted you are quite prominent in the Bundesliga thread which suggests you prefer you this to La liga or Serie A and if so what are your reasons?
Never dreamed of watching City play in Europe as a kid but ever since we played Schalke in 2007 I've been properly hooked. Started going the weekend before or stayed the weekend after a City European game, then just started going whenever I could afford to go somewhere new. Focussed on going to Germany to begin with because I enjoyed those City trips the most, and they stagger their games over the weekend so you can get to a few in a weekend. I got lots of help and advice from this forum. One poster even got tickets and drove me on a 4 hour round trip so I could go to a game I wouldn't have been able to get to on public transport.

As a supporter I think you're treated much better in Germany, in every single aspect. Cheaper tickets, transport included, able to have a beer, proper standing sections. Better atmosphere is a direct consequence of the above. I still enjoy visiting Spain and Italy though and I have trips booked to each before the end of the season (Milan with City in Nov, Brescia and the Genoa derby in December, and Real Sociedad and Osasuna in January).

To be honest though, I mainly enjoy traveling and visiting new places and the football just gives me an excuse.

Thoroughly enjoyed the two Czech games I went to last weekend. I'd been to see City play in Plzen but hadn't been otherwise. Bohemians v Zlin - £5 to get in and £1 a pint. Good atmosphere in the terrace behind the goal too. 2nd game was the Prague derby between Sparta and Slavia. The bus back from Dresden was 45 mins late so it frustratingly meant I missed the first 5 mins of the game and any choreos from the two sets of supporters, but it was still a good atmosphere for the rest of the game. Plenty of pyro and even a severed pig's head - not things I've seen too often at the Etihad. Slavia battered them 3-0 though so the home crowd weren't particularly happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.