John Humphrys retires from Radio 4 Today

I think the issue is that he has the tendancy to be a bit sloppy and inconsistent. He will at times be on point and really go after someone on detail but then the next day allow a politician to get away with blatant hypocrisy or miss the obvious follow up questions when politicians are clearly on shaky ground and the facts/evidence flies in the face of the arguments they are making.

Balance is becoming a huge issue for journalists and you have to be on it with the right questions or you will get it from one side or the other.

Good Post GM

Balance is very important like you say. I sometimes think the BBC over do this by getting 2 options on issues of fact. That’s probably because they’ve been burnt by accusations of bias in the past.

Good Post GM

Balance is very important like you say. I sometimes think the BBC over do this by getting 2 options on issues of fact. That’s probably because they’ve been burnt by accusations of bias in the past.

It is a critical issue. A quick look at fox news and how warped the coverage is will confirm that. The key is to ask the right question of both sides - if one side is lying then expose it and call it what it is.

Should have retired years ago with his journalistic reputation intact rather than spouting his bias towards tory policy on R4 for the past 5 years.

It's his job to hold politicians to account, especially when they won't answer the question.
I met Humphrys when I was on Mastermind and he was OK - he enunciated clearly, which is what contestants want. However, I got the impression he thought Mastermind was just a job, whereas his real thing was political interviews.
He lacked the warmth of Magnus, I felt, in his presentation. Magnus loved the show.

It's his job to hold politicians to account, especially when they won't answer the question.
I met Humphrys when I was on Mastermind and he was OK - he enunciated clearly, which is what contestants want. However, I got the impression he thought Mastermind was just a job, whereas his real thing was political interviews.
He lacked the warmth of Magnus, I felt, in his presentation. Magnus loved the show.

Neither Jezbollah or Bojo would go on the Today programme that reflects the modern politician being averse to scrutiny. This sort of thing undermined the Today programme IMHO

There’s also a dumming down at BBC Radio with the Gary Richardson’s Sunday morning programme being axed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.