Your very first car

I followed it with this gem:

main-pic.png

I pulled up outside a pub in Wiltshire not long after I had got it, and another bloke pulled up alongside in the exact same car. He got out and, beaming with pride said, "They are great these aren't they". I looked at him like something I had trodden in, and walked off, without saying a word.

Fuck me Chippy your car history makes Rob Brydon's ( see Top Gear some time ago ) look exotic - sign of the times I suppose. Company cars? I worked at a place where the choice was stuff like this or take the money and get your own..........always took the money - a BX or a 405 was always a better bet than these.

ADZ 2941 I think, a 1985 Fiat Uno 70SX 5-door in white with loads of rust. First and only car I've ever owned where it was advisable to carry a replacement coil, HT leads and distributor cap at all times. Was a truly dreadful car - didn't like puddles - but still better than the bus.

I had 3 Uno's - all were fantastic - as were 205's - the 80's was the Zenith of small car design ( excluding the Metro of course )

Morris Minor 1000 van, ex Post Office, in Royal Mail red.

Cool or what?

Ha ha ha - I remember my late Uncle Keith Croft ( lifelong blue - got as far as City reserves in the 50's ) driving us to Maine Rd in an ex P.O. minor van - floor had gone and we were sat on hardboard - there was fucking spray coming up off the road and spraying us in the back of the van lol - answer to the problem? Move the hardboard ha ha ha

Triumph Herald, given to me at 17 by my uncle, and no wonder, I pushed the fucking thing more than I drove it.

280px-Triumph_Herald_1200_first_registered_April_1964_1147cc.jpg

Same colour as this,when they were straight, they were great to drive, but mine was totally shagged.
Used to joke the Lada Service Manual was a bus timetable.

Used to joke the Lada Service Manual was a bus timetable.

In the 80's the cab of choice was a Lada 1200 - 100k mile or 3 year warranty the cabbies loved them - Lada's and Skoda's of the time were good cars just they were so cheap that most people overlooked maintenance - if you waited 5 years for a Polski FIAT you made sure you looked after it. To this day skimping on maintenance will kill your car whatever it is.

In the 80's the cab of choice was a Lada 1200 - 100k mile or 3 year warranty the cabbies loved them - Lada's and Skoda's of the time were good cars just they were so cheap that most people overlooked maintenance - if you waited 5 years for a Polski FIAT you made sure you looked after it. To this day skimping on maintenance will kill your car whatever it is.
Didn’t realise the Lada was a popular cab, tbh, in the late 70’s I used to walk and run home from nights out, I sometimes walk now but running after a few beers is not an option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.