Thomas Cook

I work at the airport, and this will be a big worry for the lads and lady's who work on Thomas cooks aircraft, there will be hundreds(if not a thousand or two) of people who will lose their jobs at the airport, sad times if they do fail

When Monarch went it was signposted the night before.
I booked on Easyjet, same dates because within 24 hours of booking you can cancel Easyjet and get a refund.
As it happened Monarch went under and next day the Easyjet flights doubled in price.

Where did you fly to / from? I was in Lanzarote but another carrier got put on to collect people

No, but you'll get your money back because it's ATOL protected, but it's always nice to see people who are more arsed about themselves.

Why the fuck wouldn't i be more arsed about myself having laid out £1500 on something i may lose? And as i've explained it wasn't that i wouldn't get the money back but more what i would be able to do to get there in time for the marathon.

You jumped in with your sarcastic attitude without cause.

Where did you fly to / from? I was in Lanzarote but another carrier got put on to collect people

Manchester to grand canaria.

We were scheduled to fly out two days after they went under.

I suspected, and was proved right, that the travel company would not have been able to source extra flights in time because they phoned to see if I’d accept a later holiday. I told them I’d sourced my own flights and they refunded me the monarch costs immediately.

I was quite impressed.

This is gonna cause carnage if they go under.
Thousands of jobs lost, tens of thousands of holidays gone.

I work for an independent agency and we've had a few people in today looking at alternative options should the worst case scenario happen.
Next week seems to be the crux, as their ATOL license is up for renewal on 1st October. If they can't renew it then the house of cards is gonna tumble.

Similar situation with Monarch 2 years ago; on 30th September 2017 they received a 24 hour extension from the CAA, but by the early hours of the 2nd October the plug had been pulled and all flights grounded and Monarch essentially ceased to exist from that moment on. This Thomas Cook situation is that but tenfold.

I hope for good news for anyone and everyone involved, but fear the worst.

FWIW if you've booked a package holiday then you're money is safe and protected by the ATOL scheme, although refunds could take months.
If you've booked a flight only with Thomas Cook through a travel agency then again you should be covered by ATOL.
If you've booked a TC flight only yourself then you have no ATOL protection and any refunds would have to be sourced through your bank, possibly with mixed results.

I think from a customer services aspect TUI are beginning to border on the woeful and need to step up to the mark but they certainly offer value for money over their competitors. Whenever we can do we travel independently using Sky-scanner and Trivago to cobble together jollies but October time for some reason is a rather expensive time to fly and our recent searches for Tenerife came up with nothing less than £200-£220 for a return without the extra £100 for suitcases. The digs in Golf Del Sur and Cristiano's were very reasonable at £60-£70 a day but after factoring in the flights, cases and transfers we were on a hiding to nowhere. Even mainland Europe Greece and Turkey were showing ridiculous prices so we chose a package deal with TUI because it was cheaper to sit on a Mexican beach all-inc than have a DIY jobbie. However the good thing about DIY is the flexibility afforded for timings duration and also to take us off the beaten track. I only just realized today that Thomas Cook are now Germans like TUI and if they sadly do go under then there will be some frenetic bidding with TUI leading the charge to gobble up all their routes and planes.

Hiya TGB. We're looking to go to Tenerife in November and like you I got prices of roughly £200 each return from Easyjet and Thomas Cook. This will be the first time we've arranged a holiday ourselves because the holiday packages are getting so expensive. I didn't think £200 was too bad, but are you saying you can usually get under that?

Hiya TGB. We're looking to go to Tenerife in November and like you I got prices of roughly £200 each return from Easyjet and Thomas Cook. This will be the first time we've arranged a holiday ourselves because the holiday packages are getting so expensive. I didn't think £200 was too bad, but are you saying you can usually get under that?

Not for October time mate but at other times of year including early summer and January it's always around the ton mark with January currently offering a cheeky £66 return. Obviously all the DIY flights have to have the bags factored in at another £50-£60 but still fair does at that price. We are doing the Reef in January and obviously the hotel prices can be expensive being their high season however some in Golf Del Sur and Cristianos are coming up nicely at £60 a night and Santa Barbara hotel at £65 a night. I'm guessing if poor Thomas does goes under then the flight prices will increase sharply. Fingers crossed for everybody especially those that have already booked.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.