Drinking whiskey in the afternoon

Sorry I hadn’t clocked this before posting. The Midleton costs £120 in duty free at Manchester Airport which, yes, is expensive but still a bargain. I sometimes go on Scotch whiskey Auctions and depending on the year Midleton whisky can fetch £700 upwards. My other 3 bottles aren’t worth a can of cold piss as there’re nearly empty.
In full agreement, Midleton is a fantastic whisky

Beautiful whisky. I’m a bit of an Islay fanatic and Bunnahabhain is right up there with Lagavulin distillers edition as the nicest I’ve ever had. I visited Bunnhabhain distillery and it’s really stunning - quite remote and you can see the shore of Jura across the water.

I would appreciate recommendations as a beginner. Ive had, got Bunnahabhain 12, Bowmore 12, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10. Havent treated myself to Lagavulin 16 yet. £50 a bottle is the ceiling for me at the moment. Might spend more in the future though. Ive a few Speysides but after getting the taste for Islay I'm thinking they are goiung to be my favourites.

So many to try though :-)

So I was talking about Malts not blended (not to my taste). There are five different regions producing malt whisky, each region has its own character: lowland, highland, speyside, cambeltown and islay. My preference is for speyside whisky which includes well known distillieries like Balvennie, Glenrothes, Abelour, Cardhu, Linkwood, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas. Each of these distilleries produce whisky of different age and commonly matured in different types of oak casks which helps produce the final taste. I find speyside whisky generally smooth and with a touch (a few drops) of water is truly wonderful. of the other Regions, I like Oban (which is a highland malt)- I have a couple of cask strength bottles which I bought a few years ago. Glenkinchie which is a Lowland distilliary just up the road from us and Auchentoshan is very good too (another lowland). I did like Islay whiky when I was younger but went off it after a session with a couple of bottles of Lagavulin on a fishing trip. The very smell of it now makes me feel sick.

Start with a Balvennie mate and see what you think.
I like Irish Whiskey occasionally and enjoy but imo it doesnt really stand up to 'the real thing'.

Auchentoshan is different to nearly every other Scottish single malt because it is triple-distilled in the Irish style. It was developed as a locally distilled alternative for the large numbers of Irish immigrants who were settling in Glasgow in the 19th century.

Another triple distilled single malt is Hazelburn from Campbeltown.

I'm trying to knock it on the head as I get older, but I love drinking from mid-morning through to early evening. Almost never have a hangover the next day when I do that, either. Some of my best days out started at 11am and finished at 8pm. Love getting hammered in the afternoon

It will probably be the death of me one day, and so I've got to try and push that date back as far as my predilections will allow, hence me trying to reign it in.

With some people, booze only seems to make them unhappy, or angry. Not me, I love the stuff. Love being pissed. Makes me happy 95% of the time, which is a great ratio.

The older I get, the earlier I like to start boozing. The key is getting enough quality “feather” and, like you, a good booze and bed by 8pm has seen some fantastic days (mainly at the match).
PS it’s "rein in" ;-)

Totally agree with both of you but the trouble I have is stopping at 8 o'clock ;-)

Auchentoshan is different to nearly every other Scottish single malt because it is triple-distilled in the Irish style. It was developed as a locally distilled alternative for the large numbers of Irish immigrants who were settling in Glasgow in the 19th century.

Another triple distilled single malt is Hazelburn from Campbeltown.
Interesting!

Sounds like a footy chant

“Drinking whiskey in the afternoon
You’re eating yoghurts with a fucking spoon
What a feeling what a day
Oh what a day”

Last edited by a moderator:
On my second Jamie Caskmate.
Pity the music has gone shite on BBC4.

Watching Donald Trump etc on YouTube at the moment. Christ you could go through a whole bottle watching that prick. Anyway whisky as smooth as ever with the slight stout after burn, but need to look for some music.

For any blues in America, TX Whiskey from Fort Worth goes down very easily. Redbreast used to be my favorite regular drinker, but the price escalated and I’m a cheap bugger. I keep my golf flask and home cabinet stoked with TX now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.