Meniere's disease

I have had it for 4 years.

I only have it on one side.
I find it is always preceded by my hearing going in that ear, my ear feeling “ bunged” up and my vision gets blurry.

Onset left me for 4 weeks unable to get to the toilet to throw up, even on hands and knees because of vertigo. I couldn’t see and was throwing up for hours. When it passed temporarily I was exhausted. This continued daily, sometimes several times a day, for a month. The worst attack left me on a market bench in Venice for 3 hours just trying not to throw up or fall over. Eventually two gendarmes helped me into a taxi no more than 4 metres away. I managed to avoid throwing up until I got to where I was staying. I had to be helped out of the taxi and put to bed.

Since then I have had a few attacks but none as bad.

My partner has learned the Epley manoeuvre. This helps move the crystals.

This article gives a couple of other manoeuvres that help. It is by Mercola, a controversial figure, but on this he is spot on.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/09/12/positional-vertigo.aspx

I also carry two drugs with me at all times, betahystine dihydrochloride, to help with mild nausea and to help reduce the dizziness and prochlorperazine to reduce chronic nausea.

One thing everyone advises is to keep well hydrated, drinking lots of water. I do, but can’t say whether it helps or not.

It’s bloody terrifying because it leaves you unable to function.

Last edited:
I have had it for 4 years.
Onset left me for 4 weeks unable to get to the toilet to throw up, even on hands and knees because of vertigo. I couldn’t see and was throwing up for hours. When it passed temporarily I was exhausted.
Since then I have had a few attacks.

My partner has learned the Epley manoeuvre. This helps move the crystals.
I’ve got a variation it’s a barrel of laughs, not getting to the loo to throw up is fun, only been about 5 years but it comes and goes, I just make the must of it when I’m ok, could be 3 weeks in bed next week.

Was diagnosed with it when I was in my late 20's after living with it for about 5 years and not knowing what the hell it was had hit me. This was way back in 1991. Now, I don't have the projectile vomiting, lying in bed trying not to move my head not one inch, because if I did, I would start being sick again. This would last for a few hours until I could be sick no more. I'd be in bed for a good few days before I'd feel well enough to get up. Then a good while before I felt anywhere near myself again. I was given all kinds of medication to try to ease the symptoms but Serc proved best for me. I tried just about everything available at the time, I still take a low dose everyday now as I still get the odd dizzy feeling but nothing like it was. Feel proper sorry for anyone diagnosed with it because it's an awful illness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.