Sunday Supplement cancelled from 2020/21 season

Have you read this?

Of course I have. The Premier League's own quote "Clubs finishing level in the table will have their results against each other compared to decide who finishes higher" is pretty unequivocal. Going back to my original point if City and Liverpool finish joint top with the same number of points head to head results will separate them before goal difference or goals scored come into play.

I think you may have misinterpreted the bit about the sequential precedence of head to head, goal difference and goals scored as being a combination of all three which would of course be completely unworkable because they are all completely separate calculations.

Otherwise please let me know where I've gone wrong.

Goal difference can play a part but not so much as before. From this season head to head results take precedence over goal difference. i.e. We need to take at least 4 points of the dippers to be sure of finishing above them if we're tied on points with them at the end of the season.
No it isn't,goal differnce comes first

Of course I have. The Premier League's own quote "Clubs finishing level in the table will have their results against each other compared to decide who finishes higher" is pretty unequivocal. Going back to my original point if City and Liverpool finish joint top with the same number of points head to head results will separate them before goal difference or goals scored come into play.

I think you may have misinterpreted the bit about the sequential precedence of head to head, goal difference and goals scored as being a combination of all three which would of course be completely unworkable because they are all completely separate calculations.

Only if goal difference is level, then it’s head to head,

Head-to-head records
If two or more clubs finish level in the table when competing for the title or European qualification, or when relegation is at stake, their records in the head-to-head matches will now be used to separate them.

In previous seasons, teams involved in these specific battles who finished with the same points total, goal difference and number of goals scored would be pitted against each other in a playoff.

Head to head only replaces the extra game

Check my post above yours and the link to the Premier League website above that Karen. Head to head has been introduced this season.

‘In 2019/20 the team who have collected the most points in the head-to-head duels between the sides lying level on points, goal difference and number of goals scored, will take the highest finishing position, while the team with the fewest will take the lowest place.”

‘In 2019/20 the team who have collected the most points in the head-to-head duels between the sides lying level on points, goal difference and number of goals scored, will take the highest finishing position, while the team with the fewest will take the lowest place.”

OK I now see the way it's interpreted. My bad. As the youngsters say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.