Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anything from Bernardo to suggest anything other than that it was a very dumb mistake to post that, but he should really know better. If he has the sort of relationship with Mendy to send that to him without offense, then sure, but you obviously can't post that publicly. Come on now.

The whole savage with big red lips image was designed to make people feel less guilt about treating black people as subhuman and make white people afraid of them to drum up anti-black sentiment.

I was with you until this. It was designed to be funny. The dehumanisation was a byproduct.

Not to the same extent though(that doesn’t make it better). I don’t hear of white footballers being racially abused simply for the colour of their skin either.

Only if you think Jewish people aren't white. And you completely ignore several thousand years of slavery that didn't happen over the Atlantic which everybody conveniently seems to not give a shit about.

But either way, this isn't the Discrimination Olympics. You started off the thread by calling Bernardo uninformed on racial issues then asked if white people have ever been discriminated against which happened for about 3000 years give or take your definition of "white".

White Europeans just did it more efficiently in later years. Arguably. The North Africans were pretty fucking efficient at it too for an awful long time. More famously is probably the better phrasing.

we are scare to say anything nowadays, as a ginger with freckles, I had the piss taken out of by my mates every day, nothing was meant by it. Even today my mates take the piss not about being ginger with freckles as they have now both gone, I am bald and called gary so I get called after a biscuit, a garybaldy……….I guess if I put that on here another gary without hair might get upset !!

must admit thought Bernie was smarter than this knowing what the press media etc are like ……..keep the banter to the training ground and dressing room

It's just a cultural misjudgment, hopefully he'll apologise and that will be it.....however never underestimate the power of a determined snowflake!!!!

I was with you until this. It was designed to be funny. The dehumanisation was a byproduct.

It depends on the exact image. A lot of the minstrel characters were designed for humour, but the savage, mandingo & jezebel stereotypes were all deliberately used to spread fear of blacks among white people & dehumanise them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.