Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am staggered by how much so many people are spectacularly missing the point. We are all city fans, we all love bernardo, we could all do without this kind of hassle and he's done something that anyone with half a brain cell knows gives ammunition to being attacked. Whether posters are personally offended or think silva's actions or the man himself is racist simply doesn't matter as it doesn't change that point. I too think the world has gone mad. All panelists on BBC Question Time are too scared to say the n-word despite the fact that in that context (of an academic discussion) it can't possibly be racist to use it but they still don't as they know they will get a hard time afterwards. But that is the world we live in and it does our club no good for a player to not understand what will provoke a negative reaction on twitter. Moaning about the world's gone PC mad doesn't help in any way at all

Maybe not but it doesn't change the fact that it has PC mad and that it is used as a stick to beat people when no beating is required and at times people should actually point that out.

I think we need to stop looking at it through blue-tinted spectacles, he did wrong, he meant no malice, but he did wrong. If it was a United or Liverpool player we'd be calling for a ban. It was probably done in naivety as a light hearted joke and Mendy has probably done the same back to Bernado at some stage but you've got to be so damn careful nowadays.
No, I wouldn't be calling for any type of ban no matter which player did it. It's pathetic how up in arms some people are about it. This story should be consigned to the dustbin asap.

Stupid to post on twatter yes. But mandatory education? Hope he tells them to fuck off if they try and pull that shit.

Being branded a racist in need of re-education because of this is utterly ridiculous.

Do Kick It Out serve any other purpose than to issue strongly worded statements on anything high profile with racist connotations? Not really surprised they've said this.

Someone needs to kick out....kick it out. Like the rest of the PC left wing snowflake nonsense it makes the very problem it claims to be combating worse.

Some might say thats the idea. After all its in the financial interests of many that racism is either alive and well or failing that make us all believe it is alive and well.

Bernado should tell them to go and fuck themselves. Having said that daft to put it in social media. Infact social media needs to be cast into the fiery pit alongside kick it out and their like.

Some people get out of bed hoping to be offended. They can't be busy with proper jobs.

The only people being loudly offended are those offended by the thought of people being offended.

He posted something stupid that he should have done privately. He'll be slapped on the wrist and that will that.

Says it all about the state of this country when Mendy finds it funny, but the snowflakes are up in arms about it. The sooner the PC mob fuck off the better for me, absolutely ruining this country.

What snowflakes? What PC Mob? There was no huge outcry.

The post was taken down by Bernardo or one of his media team.

The only people over reacting on here are those offended at the thought that people might be offended.

Ironically, the same lack of cultural awareness shown by Bernardo towards this issue is the same lack of awareness shown to Bernardo's culture/background/environment by those who are getting up in arms about this. But the people who get worked up about this don't appreciate their hypocrisy being pointed out.

I think that's a good point.

I'm sure there are black people out there (and white people on their behalf) who are offended by the comparison which Bernardo made.

But I'm sure there are people from a white culture, who think it's fine to make such comparisons in jest - and believe that by taking the piss out a black mate the same way they would do to a white mate, they are treating them as equals.

The answer, I think, is to look at intention. I know that doesn't always yield the results people want, and doesn't allow people to categorise a person as good/bad, racist/non-racist as easily but maybe as a society, we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

In this case though, I'm sure that Mendy and everyone who knows Bernardo would probably attest that a comparison like this was simply a joke made with good intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.