Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If opposition fans had a banner raised with that picture on there targeting one of our players during a game, would any of you have a problem with it? I know I would. I don't believe Bernardo is a racist, but for goodness sake, in today's climate, it is simply irresponsible. Like it or not, footballers are global celebrities and a lot of kids look up to them. That kind of banter should be done in private if not at all. Even in private, such jokes are made and the target often laughs ostensibly but deep down, it can be hurtful. Racism has a painful history to some of us and such comments in light of the challenges we are still facing with this issue in society, is simply irresponsible and inconsiderate at best.

Can anyone please tell me how this is racist? Sure it wasn't the smoothest of posts, but it's deleted and there shouldn't be any fuzz about it.

If Mangala compared De Bruyne with Tintin wearing lipstick, would that also be racist? No, it would 'be fun'.

It is not the same thing. History matters.

If opposition fans had a banner raised with that picture on there targeting one of our players during a game, would any of you have a problem with it? I know I would. I don't believe Bernardo is a racist, but for goodness sake, in today's climate, it is simply irresponsible. Like it or not, footballers are global celebrities and a lot of kids look up to them. That kind of banter should be done in private if not at all. Even in private, such jokes are made and the target often laughs ostensibly but deep down, it can be hurtful. Racism has a painful history to some of us and such comments in light of the challenges we are still facing with this issue in society, is simply irresponsible and inconsiderate at best.
This.

Can anyone please tell me how this is racist? Sure it wasn't the smoothest of posts, but it's deleted and there shouldn't be any fuzz about it.

If Mangala compared De Bruyne with Tintin wearing lipstick, would that also be racist? No, it would 'be fun'.
But but, you can't be racist towards white people.

I understand why people would find it offensive, I believe Bernardo was naive, I also believe he'll be mortified by the subsequent reaction.

I have a question though. If Mbappe, for example, had tweeted/posted this would it still be deemed offensive?

African Americans call each other the n-word all the time. It's only a problem when a white person does it. But you do get black people who have an issue with the word even when a black person says it. I hope that answers your question.

Why? So you are saying to deal with racist comments now. It's you who is talking bullshit IMO. No one here is saying that Silva is racist but he is really dumb to post comments and videos like that on a public media. If you don't want to deal with others getting offended, then don't make racist comments. Doesn't matter if it is ill-intended or not.
Not sure what “So you are saying to deal with racist comments now“ means Roy?

As for getting offended, are you offended on my behalf that someone accused me of being racist? Some people might find that offensive. So, are you offended for me or not?

Yes, but since we're in the work place, I don't really have to put up with listening to racially abusive language, so if it happened again, I'd probably report it. I really don't think I'm saying anything remotely controversial here.

If we were at bar somewhere, I wouldn't even bother confronting that person. I'd walk away.

Unfortunately, a large demographic of the most vocal part of this forum doesn't want to hear it because they've already got an idea of who you are and how they act in their head. It frees them up from the burden of nuance and lets them crack on with the belittling.

It's also worth mentioning that some people clearly need to learn that the definition of racism isn't subjective. What Bernardo posted was a racist joke regardless of the fact that he didn't mean any harm.

You can't just wish away racist behaviour because you see it as a dirty word and like the bloke in question.

Ok fair point, I’m being a **** here but I just don’t get the whole offended thing. This Twitter thing people being offended but...so what? What does it do? Why should anyone else bother if someone found something offensive? 10 years from now, it’s going to be a case of Human 37463 meets Human 83836 “Hello”, “Hello”, “thank you”, “and you”. The end. MEH

People on twitter are just people reacting to something that has happened in the public domain with their own opinions. I reject calls for Silva to be suspended or fined and labelling him a racist, but other than that, it's just what people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.