Liverpool pay City £1 million in "spy" settlement for hacking - biggest PL scandal

“every journalist in this country… now needs to be looking over their shoulders”

The above quote is taken from the example below. It may explain the current caution of some journalists to take up, at the moment, the exclusive reports in The Times on 21 and 23 September which stated - " The scandal (employees of Liverpool FC allegedly accessing confidential data and intelligence owned by City) would appear to be the biggest incident of alleged misbehaviour by one top-flight club (Liverpool) to another (City) in the Premier League’s history."

The Press Gazette - (Fighting for Journalism) reported on 26 July, 2018 that a Sunday Express sports correspondent who was fired after criticising Liverpool FC fans in an online comment piece had vowed to continue fighting his dismissal.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/sund...o-continue-fighting-gag-on-freedom-of-speech/

It was reported that the writer`s dismissal came after a Liverpool supporting Editor of The Express had, according to the writer, “fanned the flames” of a Twitter storm which resulted in the writer of the opinion piece being forced to go to the police over fears for his safety after receiving “enormous abuse”. The writer also said he believed he was fired for commercial reasons, to avoid the Express being boycotted in Liverpool like the Sun, saying he had been “offered as a sacrificial lamb to a baying mob”.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/ex-s...conduct-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc/

Before the writer`s Employment Tribunal to hear his case against his dismissal was held, it was reported that eventually a substantial settlement was offered by Reach (the owners of The Express and the Liverpool Echo) and accepted.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/reac...ed-over-column-criticising-liverpool-fc-fans/

What may or may not have been said and come out of the tribunal was not heard.

Reach commented that opinions had to be " founded on fact and reasoned argument.” The Press Gazette reported that the undisclosed but substantial cash offer from Reach came with an “expression of regret” about events.

This makes far more sense than what Sunday suppplement say, they reckon they get positive press as they are open & just a really nice bunch.

I’ve always believed they rule with fear but who knows, just maybe it could be a house of cards, interesting to see if the media have the balls.

Michael Cox pissed me off on the Totally football podcast I listened to this morning. Their coverage of the story amounted to "Two former employees logged back in, it's hilarious that they called it hacking, it's not exactly Bielsa's spygate."

So they got the facts wrong, swept it under the rug and then pretended that an actual criminal offence was less egregious than standing in public watching people play football.

Michael Cox pissed me off on the Totally football podcast I listened to this morning. Their coverage of the story amounted to "Two former employees logged back in, it's hilarious that they called it hacking, it's not exactly Bielsa's spygate."

So they got the facts wrong, swept it under the rug and then pretended that an actual criminal offence was less egregious than standing in public watching people play football.

Glad I didn't listen to it. So he trvilialised data protection law. Unsuprising, coming from an industry that thinks it ok to hack email and phone acounts.

Maybe City have had the nod that we are not going to get a favourable decision from EUFA/CAS and have decided on a bit of whataboutery inorder punish Parry's club?

Chances of anything being done officially about this ?? I mean it’s a crime right ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.