Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone worried that the FA will launch a retrospective investigation of Kun adopting his nickname from the Japanese cartoon character ‘Kum-Kum’?

From my recollection ‘Kum-Kum’ was a jolly, round character who looked more western than Japanese.

I’m sure someone, somewhere will be grievously offended with Kun adopting this nickname.

The fact that his tweet is being investigated by the FA and has led to 60 odd pages on here suggests common sense has gone out of the window.

People mouthing off about PC correctness gone mad, denying racist jokes are racist and pushing false equivalences has brought us to this page count. The Bernardo stuff takes up a fraction of it.

People mouthing off about PC correctness gone mad, denying racist jokes are racist and pushing false equivalences has brought us to this page count. The Bernardo stuff takes up a fraction of it.
So common sense went out of the window then?

I agree with all of that, but there's a concerning trend on this thread to just invent things or take them completely out of context to defend Bernardo.

No, Aguero being nicknamed Kun isn't racist because the comparison isn't "Aguero is Japanese so he looks like this racist depiction of a japanese person!". No it's not a private joke between friends if you share it with 600,000 people. No, it's not comparable to likening De Bruyne to tin tin.

Where has the common sense gone? Why can people not see how comparing a guy to a racist cartoon depiction of a Congolese savage could be interpreted as racist even if Bernardo did it accidentally with no malice?

Because if it is indeed a joke between friends, and Mendy is in on it, then if you don’t make the joke based purely on Mendy’s race, is that not racism? If they joke about Kev, or Zinchenko or whoever, then not joking about Mendy would surely be treating him differently based purely on the colour of his skin. That’s racism.
I’m sure Mendy, Bernardo or indeed 99% of the population had no idea of the origin of the cartoon character.
So it’s a joke based on similarities, and you don’t crack it, are you treating Mendy differently?

It’s a difficult one. It’s also a very silly tweet in today’s world.

It’s a daft tweet and the FA just need to have a word with him, nothing more.

Kick it Out have suggested they send him on an education course, which would be relatively fair punishment.

He’s clearly not meant it and is still relatively young. It was just a joke at his mate and I don’t believe for a second he’s racist.

Obviously in this social media day and age everything blows up into hysteric hyperbole.

they had to pull Bernardo up due to the recent events regarding racism in UK football, not doing so would have been portrayed as a failure by the FA, so they had no choice. However, i doubt this will go further than Bernardo explaining his stance and the FA explaining theirs and that should be the end of it.

Because if it is indeed a joke between friends, and Mendy is in on it, then if you don’t make the joke based purely on Mendy’s race, is that not racism? If they joke about Kev, or Zinchenko or whoever, then not joking about Mendy would surely be treating him differently based purely on the colour of his skin. That’s racism.
I’m sure Mendy, Bernardo or indeed 99% of the population had no idea of the origin of the cartoon character.
So it’s a joke based on similarities, and you don’t crack it, are you treating Mendy differently?

It’s a difficult one. It’s also a very silly tweet in today’s world.
Is it today’s world or is it just this country, do they get so offended by everything everywhere else? Do they have 100 different genders in Germany and make a big song and dance about it if you disagree, are the outraged in Japan in there arent 50% females in a certain job? I’d be interested to know in all honesty or is it this country pandering to a bunch of slapped arses who’ve been brought up to think everything should be given to them and that you can’t lose in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.