Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, so they've cleaned up their image since then and made the character more PC? Which is the version Bernardo will have seen.

Still, that's not good viewing that advert, I don't think Bernardo will have likened his mate to a spear wielding tribesman. I suppose it's like the Robertson's jam mascots, which were just deemed a no go. I always wondered if they would have been seen as racist at all, if not for that awful name. I never used to see them as racist as a kid anyway because the phrase meant nothing to me.

I collected the badges when I was a youngster and really liked them. The thought that it was racist never even occurred to me though my family were undeniably casually racist. My Dad hates all people of colour except all the ones he had ever met.

One is black and the other is white. Black people have had 100s of years of dealing with and over coming negative stereotypes and those to be reinforced by a high profile football player is not ideal
I get that, but at some point we have to stop looking for racial undertones in absolutely everything, and just treat each other equally. It was a funny joke meant for Mendy, and no one else should feel the right to be offended on Mendys behalf

I get that, but at some point we have to stop looking for racial undertones in absolutely everything, and just treat each other equally. It was a funny joke meant for Mendy, and no one else should feel the right to be offended on Mendys behalf

No one is, as far as I can tell. A high profile footballer reinforcing negative stereotypes isn’t a good thing and will (probably rightly) get criticised

Private messages should be kept private. Twitter is not a private platform, it is a way to broadcast to the world. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that black kids at school got a bit of grief and where themselves compared to that cartoon character on the strength of one of the world last best footballers putting that out there

It’s not the crime of the century. It’s daft, insensitive and was bound to draw criticism

But you posted a quote from a celebrity telling us how/what to think!
It’s the principle not the person that matters and I certainly was not telling anyone how to think. That is the whole point of this.
On more neutral ground, we are playing very well tonight and the young lads are the back are doing their prospects no harm at all. (Only my opinion, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.