Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm not sure if Guardiola's intervention last night really helped matters tbh.

I thought that on watching it. He was extolling the positives of Bernardo, he speaks five languages, one of the loveliest guys I ever met, he loves Mendy like a brother etcetera. Everybody knows that and it isn't the in doubt, just as it isn't that he is not a racist. He has to realise that if he posts such out there for the wider world to see that while Mendy might find it hilarious a lot won't. Add to that there are a whole host of people out there just waiting for anyone, or anything, connected to Manchester City to slip up to pounce and the hierarchy and public relations department really need to get a grip.

They are all very highly paid employees representing a high profile football club and with that comes responsibilities. Almost everyone in employment these days has to sign a social media contract as well as a work one, stating that posts that bring negative attention to the company will be dealt with severely. I did and I'm sure many others have.

All this explaining what a great guy Bernardo is, he loves Mendy, he meant no harm, it was a joke are just digging a bigger hole and making the situation worse. It is almost like someone saying, " Hey I have black mates I can't be racist!"

He should have immediately apologised for any offence not meant but caused by the tweet and adding that although it was banter between two friends who both get the joke, he could see with hindsight how others might not. By delaying such a statement, which he is probably going to have to make in the end, it looks even worse, like he has been forced to say it. Again our public relations department have failed miserably in their work and need replacing, just like our IT department.

Everyone can pontificate as much as they like on this subject but the bottom line is like it or lump it this is how it is these days regarding speech, both spoken and posted online. The wrong thing said or posted can have dire consequences for yourself, your career and your family. Some may like it, some stamp their feet and say " Its a load of bollocks!" But it's the way the cookie crumbles today I'm afraid.

I thought that on watching it. He was extolling the positives of Bernardo, he speaks five languages, one of the loveliest guys I ever met, he loves Mendy like a brother etcetera. Everybody knows that and it isn't the in doubt, just as it isn't that he is not a racist. He has to realise that if he posts such out there for the wider world to see that while Mendy might find it hilarious a lot won't. Add to that there are a whole host of people out there just waiting for anyone, or anything, connected to Manchester City to slip up to pounce and the hierarchy and public relations department really need to get a grip.

They are all very highly paid employees representing a high profile football club and with that comes responsibilities. Almost everyone in employment these days has to sign a social media contract as well as a work one, stating that posts that bring negative attention to the company will be dealt with severely. I did and I'm sure many others have.

All this explaining what a great guy Bernardo is, he loves Mendy, he meant no harm, it was a joke are just digging a bigger hole and making the situation worse. It is almost like someone saying, " Hey I have black mates I can't be racist!"

He should have immediately apologised for any offence not meant but caused by the tweet and adding that although it was banter between two friends who both get the joke, he could see with hindsight how others might not. By delaying such a statement, which he is probably going to have to make in the end, it looks even worse, like he has been forced to say it. Again our public relations department have failed miserably in their work and need replacing, just like our IT department.

Everyone can pontificate as much as they like on this subject but the bottom line is like it or lump it this is how it is these days regarding speech, both spoken and posted online. The wrong thing said or posted can have dire consequences for yourself, your career and your family. Some may like it, some stamp their feet and say " Its a load of bollocks!" But it's the way the cookie crumbles today I'm afraid.
100% this. Well articulated and although it hurts to say it, it needs pointing out that not only Bernardo but the club has dropped a bollock here. Great post.

100% this. Well articulated and although it hurts to say it, it needs pointing out that not only Bernardo but the club has dropped a bollock here. Great post.

Thanks I have sat on my hands a bit having posted earlier in the thread as it was becoming ridiculous. Too many private battles and and point scoring being fought. It hurts when one of our own has been put into the spotlight regarding this issue, but we can't just ignore it, defend it or express some kind of moral outrage because of that. He made a stupid mistake no matter how innocently that mistake was made. He needs to apologise, learn from it and move on. If he had aimed a football at Mendy s head in the warm up and it hit a steward standing there, maybe injuring them or knocking them off their feet he wouldn't just go, " Tough shit, I was aiming it at Mendy s head, not my fault it hurt you." No, he would run over, help them up, apologise and then say, "Oh sorry you got hurt, that wasn't my intention it was meant for Mendy." Similar with this in a different context.

Too defensive. Why should he apologise for something that had no racist intent? This is trivia, and should be ignored.

Kun should run a training course for his teammates on how to tweet in a safe and non controversial way - always praises his team mates, and finishes with a Cmon City - simple and safe

But for me the main concern was the Insta Video of Bernardo - with him calling Mendy naked because he is wearing a black shirt.

We may justify it as Banter but can easily see why it offends people and I can't disagree.
I've seen several people mention this and I just don't get what there is to be concerned about. I personally don't see anything wrong with the Conguitos tweet, but I can at least understand why some people have a problem with the cartoon character itself due to it having a brown face and pronounced lips.

But the black tshirt video.... How are people getting offended by that? Genuinely, how? What is it that I'm missing?

I'm about 10 shades paler than a bottle of milk and I get this ALL the time when I wear a white tshirt. It's a joke; my skin colour happens to be roughly the same colour as my tshirt. I'm sure Mendy is self aware enough to realise his is too.

Or have we now lost all sight of what racism actually is and simply decided that making ANY reference whatsoever to someone's skin colour means you're a card-carrying racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.