Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoving
You’re inflaming the situation - which is what easily offended people do. I imagine he merely showed the tweet to the guy concerned.

Ah you ‘imagine’. I can picture the scene. It’s the kitchen area. People getting coffees and biscuits. One pulls a printed copy of the tweet out of his pocket and asks his (black) colleague if this caricature of a black boy with the big red lips and round belly is any way racist. The colleague eyes the fire alarm button and briefly wonders if he should press it whilst shouting for help. Eventually he decides on soothing words and makes his escape.

Think we are all relieved the situation went peaceably :)

It honestly blows my mind that so many people in this thread just cannot accept how posting a photo of a racist cartoon (which only a few years ago had a spear, how much more on the nose can you be?) could be construed by other people as being offensive. Even if something doesn't offend you personally as an older white male from the UK (probably), how hard is it to think about things from someone else's perspective for one minute and see how maybe, other people would not like to be reminded of racist images from the last century which historically have been used to dehumanize?

But, but, it was a private joke between mates! No...it wasn't. Twitter is a public platform, and in the same way you modify your language if you're up on stage giving a business presentation, if you have 600,000 followers, you also modify your language to not include content which is, to put it nicely, painfully out of date with common courtesy.

If this is PC or soft or whatever, so be it. I don't really think of it that way, to me it's just called not being an asshole. It costs me absolutely nothing to do, and very likely won't affect you in the slightest also. Again, I don't think this is a heinous crime or anything, I don't think Bernardo is racist, but he made a dumb choice out of ignorance and should take it as a lesson.
It doesn't have a spear now? was benny or mbop offended? is it up to other people to be offended on their behalf? would this be a story on the national sports channel if he played for any other team?

It doesn't have a spear now? was benny or mbop offended? is it up to other people to be offended on their behalf? would this be a story on the national sports channel if he played for any other team?

Why is everyone offended on behalf of Bernardo? :)

I find it funny the white presenter is more offended for the black community than barnes an actual black man
The comments section on Facebook under it surprised me tbh. Not one angry reaction.

SqrL06Q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.