Colin Bell

It seems to me that I was at that match. Did he not score in it, and the whole of Maine Rd went wild?
If I remember rightly it was a night match. The vivid memory I have is the injured knee was noticeably larger than the other. One of my best memories of him playing was when we were playing West Ham. We were playing towards the scoreboard end, Bobby Moore was tight on his back, somebody played a ball up about chest height, just before the ball reached them Bell had read the flight of the ball and spun one way round Moore the ball went the other side of Moore, Bell was gone and one of the best players in the world at that time stood there with a bemused look on his face.

My father, who was a big, big Colin Bell fan, still reckoned that Peter Doherty was the best he’d ever seen in a City shirt. Alas, he never got to see the post take-over teams.

We used to chat to a gent in his 90s (we’ve not seen him for a while), who had been going since the '30s, and he also reckoned Peter Doherty was the best he’d seen.

Better than Merlin.

Better than Yaya.

And better than Colin.

We used to chat to a gent in his 90s (we’ve not seen him for a while), who had been going since the '30s, and he also reckoned Peter Doherty was the best he’d seen.

Better than Merlin.

Better than Yaya.

And better than Colin.

From Wiki

"Peter Doherty was surely the genius among geniuses. Possessor of the most baffling body swerve in football, able to perform all the tricks with the ball, owning a shot like the kick of a mule, and, with all this, having such tremendous enthusiasm for the game that he would work like a horse for ninety minutes. That was pipe-smoking Peter Doherty, the Irish redhead who, I am convinced, had enough football skill to stroll through a game smoking that pipe-and still make the other twenty-one players appear second-raters. But of course Peter never strolled through anything. His energy had to be seen to be appreciated.

Better than Merlin.

Better than Yaya.

And better than Colin.

Thing is, you can more easily compare footballers from Bell's era to Doherty' s than from now to Bell's time. 1960s fitness levels, muddy pitches, etc were similar to 1930s conditions but all that's changed nowadays.

As you can see by my username king Colin was my idol, been watching City man and boy for 48yrs, keep telling my 23yr old lad about how good he was and we're all lucky enough now to have You Tube , imagine him in Peps team now.

If I remember rightly it was a night match. The vivid memory I have is the injured knee was noticeably larger than the other. One of my best memories of him playing was when we were playing West Ham. We were playing towards the scoreboard end, Bobby Moore was tight on his back, somebody played a ball up about chest height, just before the ball reached them Bell had read the flight of the ball and spun one way round Moore the ball went the other side of Moore, Bell was gone and one of the best players in the world at that time stood there with a bemused look on his face.
It was definitely an afternoon 3pm kick-off. As it was the depths of winter, the floodlights were turned on and he replaced Paul Power at half-time with the score at 0-0. We won 4-0 and had a new supersub.

It was definitely an afternoon 3pm kick-off. As it was the depths of winter, the floodlights were turned on and he replaced Paul Power at half-time with the score at 0-0. We won 4-0 and had a new supersub.
In my defence all I can say, well it was dark. It was a long time ago.

Better than Merlin.

Better than Yaya
And better than Colin.
The famous penalty when Cruyff passed the ball to Olsen in the box,then back to Cruyff to score,and everyone said what a genius
Peter Doherty did it many years before

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.