Watching City in Town

Pie and ale by far the best.

Cheapish pints for the northern quarter, plenty of room, and rarely any bellends in there, if ever.

We used to go to tib street for away games because P&A was shut for a few months and it's fucking shit in there. Packed shoulder to shoulder so you have to smash through people to get to the bar, spilling half your pint. And there's usually loads of gobby Liverpool and United fans. Then you get the twats who are just in town on the piss who make a big circle in the middle of the room whilst everyone else is trying to watch the match.

Walkabout and Bierkeller (I've only been in here for England and Champions League final games in recent years) in the Printworks
Dive Bar in the NQ is decent with lots of screens and a big area.
The Green on Ducie Street next to Piccadilly station is good with lots of screens as well.

Added these to listing in the Places to Watch City thread.

Though, I have to say the last time I watched City at Tib Street there were plenty of rags about (though, that was more than a year ago, to be fair), as @mdj0520 mentioned. Not been to Pie and Ale yet, but Shack Bar is a decent shout, as well. I rarely go to the pubs to watch now, as when I am back in Manchester I am at the match (given the time and expense for me these days).

Tib Street Tavern

Pie&Ale usually has a few places to sit and the beer is cheap

Pie and ale

Pie and ale by far the best.

Cheapish pints for the northern quarter, plenty of room, and rarely any bellends in there, if ever.

We used to go to tib street for away games because P&A was shut for a few months and it's fucking shit in there. Packed shoulder to shoulder so you have to smash through people to get to the bar, spilling half your pint. And there's usually loads of gobby Liverpool and United fans. Then you get the twats who are just in town on the piss who make a big circle in the middle of the room whilst everyone else is trying to watch the match.

Walkabout and Bierkeller (I've only been in here for England and Champions League final games in recent years) in the Printworks
Dive Bar in the NQ is decent with lots of screens and a big area.
The Green on Ducie Street next to Piccadilly station is good with lots of screens as well.

Shack Bar in NQ.

Last edited:
Millstone of a Sat eve? Who the hell thinks that's a good idea? Not saying you are like. Also, doesn't only Turks out of those have TVs?
That was a suggestion from another blue, as I’ve not been—if enough people say the same (not a good place to watch), I am happy to take it off the list. But most in it have TVs, mate.

Cheers mate. I did check that thread but must have missed it somehow
No worries, just wanted to share the compilation of suggestions from other blues.

Every time this is asked we get many new recommendations. ;-)

Added these to listing in the Places to Watch City thread.

Though, I have to say the last time I watched City at Tib Street there were plenty of rags about (though, that was more than a year ago, to be fair), as @mdj0520 mentioned. Not been to Pie and Ale yet, but Shack Bar is a decent shout, as well. I rarely go to the pubs to watch now, as when I am back in Manchester I am at the match (given the time and expense for me these days).

Yeah that's the thing about tib street. Loads of rags when they're playing at home! Fucking typical. Wouldn't have a clue about our home matches as we are always there.

Yeah that's the thing about tib street. Loads of rags when they're playing at home! Fucking typical. Wouldn't have a clue about our home matches as we are always there.
United were playing the next day when I was there!

As said before, it’s been sometime since I have been in Manchester and not actually been at the match, though.

Second City up in Ancoats is pretty good.

Having said that, avoid Liverpool CL games there. But beyond that it's a decent atmosphere, couple of big screens with a good sound system, useful selection of beers, and actually decent food for a sports bar. It's a bit less rammed than the NQ as well, with some decent bars around it.

My other fave place to watch football in town is at The Brotherhood Of Pursuits And Pastimes by the town hall. If you book in advance you can get your own booth.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.