Owner of next door wants to chop down joint chimney stack

He also informed me today that he knocked out all the chimney breasts when he renovated it. Should he have got a party wall agreement for that?

He's not supposed to knock out the chimney breasts until after he's either removed the chimney stack or stuck a lintel in the loft to support the weight of it. Otherwise it may come crashing down. Bloke next door to me wanted to remove our shared chimney stack in order to then increase the size of his rooms by then removing the breasts. I let him (by signing a party wall agreement), but he had to pay for it and get a proper firm in. No issues apart from a couple of days of ear splitting drilling!

If he wants to that just be careful, solid fuel fires are becoming more popular and it could be a selling point for you if you ever want to sell.

It’s good to know we have a few people that know their stuff on here, really good info, like a Citizens Advice but with more expertise.

Do you get on with your neighbour?

He rents it out. I don't know him. The kids who live next door are sound, don't hear a peep out of them

Been onto building control today and he did not register the work he had done on the chimney breasts. Because it is over 2 years ago, there is nothing they can do.

The point about Party Wall surveyors is they protect your interests but the person wanting the work done pays the fees, by law.
Whats to lose?
Go now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.