Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I agree with that and no doubt the thread will eventually just end up going round in circles again. Then the arguments will kick off, and the thread will be pulled. Repeat ad nauseum!

There are undoubtedly a fair few journalists who will be relishing the opportunity to stick the knife in, and it will probably get an undue amount of publicity as a result, which is why I find it frustrating that Guardiola/the club have imo given them a bit more ammunition rather than drawing a line under it. I don't agree though that it's only become a story because it involves a City player. It would be in the media if any profile player had done it.

Don't forget Sterling called the media out on their racism so as much as they all applauded that and made the right noises, you can bet deep down they would have been fuming and waiting for any opportunity to strike back.

Been on the hour and half hour news on Five Live all day.

Not heard them mention the Cult hacking us once!

No it’s your role in telling them they’re right.

You didn’t say “[he] offended some people” you said “[he] rightly offended some people”.

You’re stating they’re right to be offended. You deciding what is right and wrong to be offended about. It’s not remotely childish nonsense to pull you up about it.

You say above it’s not your place to tell them they’re wrong (to be offended), which is fine. But apparently it’s your place to tell them they’re right to be offended.

I’ll say again, anyone genuinely ‘upset’ by that tweet from one mate to another must have very little genuine concern in their lives.

The tweet was misjudged and ill advised, not because it was racist but entirely because of social media shit storms where people get offended on behalf of third parties.

But as Pep says, Bernie won’t be doing this again (in public). That’s not because he will believe he was wrong to make the very tame joke but entirely because society is ridiculously hyperbolic.

I'll actually apologise for the choice of word 'rightly'. I hand on heart didn't mean it that way. I should have read it back. I honestly meant they have a right to be offended by it. It's totally understandable that many do. If your issue is with the word rightly, then fair enough, that wasn't my intention. Mistake there, so I apologise. I sincerely have no intention of being the adjudicator on this. I do believe that people have a right to be offended by this, as I do personally think it's an idiotic tweet. I'm not obviously the authority on racism though and never would be pretend to be...

Don't forget Sterling called the media out on their racism so as much as they all applauded that and made the right noises, you can bet deep down they would have been fuming and waiting for any opportunity to strike back.
That was another thing the media got away with.

They weren’t being racist towards Sterling, they were brown nosing Liverpool and giving Sterling shit because he left their darlings for Dirty Oil Money Arabic FC.

The media got away with why they were really treating Raheem the way they were in the end because Raz, Ian Wright and our fan base ran with the racism angle - which it was never about (unless we say it was an anti-Arab racism angle but nobody came to that eventuality).

Do you remember at the end of the season the players and staff were singing the liverpool song,given as we had a few hours earlier won the title then the dipper media went mad and say we were disrespecting hillsborough and the 96,fucking bollocks,we had to apologise for causing offence,apologise for something we hadn't done,something very serious like that,just stop it
Plus they fucking hack City yet no media frenzy, no apology.

The modern day incarnation of the character and the picture that Bernardo posted isn't a racial stereotype. It's just a black cartoon character with an exact, white equivalent. Maybe the old character used to be a racial stereotype but that isn't the one that Bernardo compared him to, and even if he did, the character was supposedly created as a nod to Congolese independence, not to mock Congolese people or to justify slavery (a century after it was abolished) or whatever ridiculous argument some people have already made. And let's have it right, if Bernardo hadn't made it about the cartoon character and some other random black person, you or somebody else would have been wanting an apology for causing offence by 'portraying all black people as looking the same'.

By failing to make the point that the comparison wasn't racist and wasn't mean to be racist, Pep would have legitimised the offence felt/not felt by those who had no place to be offended so I'm glad he backed Bernardo on this. Like John Barnes said, 'there is nothing wrong with being black' so people shouldn't be made to feel like they need to walk on eggshells when they're joking with their black mates.
Absolutely, as Barnes said “the cute little boy cartoon and Mendy look alike” and they do, more so than Tin tin and KDB.

I’d love to know by those upset, or offended, which black cartoon characters they would have been happy with Bernie comparing Mendy to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.