Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, right, I forget you have never had the privilege of growing up having monkey chants shouted at you from cars driving by, growing up seeing White people blacked up acting as what would be perceived as what a Black person would/ should act like, watching TV and not being represented in a positive light until the last few years [really].

But, yet AGAIN, I have said how far we've come along and I don't want that derailed for a stupid msg and to keep it private.

It's funny how much I'm being castigated for wishing these pals should have kept it private, where you're fight it these things to be openly displayed.

If these boards are not able to see the greater connotations, then why am I even here??

It makes a mockery that Blues are supposed to support each other.

I think many will be glad that I'm now considering my position after years of being here.

If Mendy had sent a tweet of a white chocolate to Bernardo would there have been as much of a furore ? As for white people blacking up , ive witnessed a black person do the opposite at a fancy dress and no one batted an eyelid , ive also been to Jamaica and been called a "Honky" but took it in jest .Maybe i am thick skinned especially if it was a friend commenting or tweeting this stuff , i despise racism in every form , i used to work with some Asian /Muslim lads and the abuse they receive is on another level, but the Bernardo tweet needs to be put into perspective.
If you do stop posting on here your admitting defeat, which would be a shame.

Since you're not speaking as a Black person, isn't it better a Black person who feels no offense to express their own feelings on said public tweet?

Thanks.
I believe anyone of any colour can have whatever opinion they want on this matter.

But if I found a particular opinion to be disturbing, I'd find it disturbing regardless of the colour of the person who said it.

I think your posts have been quite insightful on this issue; it's just that one line that I found rather curious.

Serious question had had it been Mendy posting a picture of young Bernado with a picture of the anthill mob would the reaction have been the same

Is it really a serious question? Because I think we must be in double figures now for the number of times that false equivalence has been dispelled in this thread.

We all know Bernardo isn’t a racist.
Most of us know that the tweet could be rightly deemed by some as being offensive and therefore it shouldn’t have been posted. WhatsApp is for stuff like that.
I’m sure he’s learnt his lesson.
The subsequent witch hunt is getting ridiculous.

You've made some good points so far but now you're coming across as pathetic and looking for sympathy. Threatening to leave the forum because some people disagree with you?

Do you think anyone not of colour is allowed to have an opinion on the matter no matter if it agrees with your view or not?

So, I wrote that thinking WTF has happened on this board that Blues accept shit like that in a public tweet.

It just made me think how many of you would, by extension, go to a game wearing minstrel faces, prosthetic fat lips or carrying spears in support of a 'good laugh' towards Mendy??

This would be the logical leap if you support that kind of public 'banter'.

We all know Bernardo isn’t a racist.
Most of us know that the tweet could be rightly deemed by some as being offensive and therefore it shouldn’t have been posted. WhatsApp is for stuff like that.
I’m sure he’s learnt his lesson.
The subsequent witch hunt is getting ridiculous.
That's where I am with this now as well.

The one thing that every single person on both sides of the argument agree on is that Bernardo isn't racist and didn't post the tweet with any racist intention.

He's clearly never going to do it again, so what is it that people want? Are we no longer able to give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore? Have we become that vindictive as a society that we must now punish people for every single indiscretion, even while acknowledging there was no ill intent and it won't happen again?

There are people in the media effectively saying "We know he didn't mean anything by it but he MUST be punished." Why? For what purpose exactly?

That is a truly frightening position. "One cannot continue to ignore subconscious views on race". Next step re-education camps.

If your subconscious viewpoint comes through in your messaging 'joking' or otherwise, you're not considering the recipient of that message or, at least, you reveal more about yourself than you intended. This is especially true if you don't know the person you are tweeting (i.e., publicly).

Just consider that for a moment and you'll understand why I said what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.