Liverpool could be thrown out of Carabao Cup

I disagree and ask that this goes to arbitration. The year Li'pool were given the free pass was the year it was changed, IMO, up until then the winner of the European Cup did not automatically qualify. Come on everyone, who is right me, a still living in Manc, Manc or a Morrisey fan.
Think you are right on this one

I disagree and ask that this goes to arbitration. The year Li'pool were given the free pass was the year it was changed, IMO, up until then the winner of the European Cup did not automatically qualify. Come on everyone, who is right me, a still living in Manc, Manc or a Morrisey fan.
Forest have won it twice but the league once, they can only have done that if winners qualified the next season.

Teams have previously been able to defend their title regardless of their final league position (as with Forest mentioned). However I don't think this was initially carried through to the CL because in 99/00 the champions Real Zaragoza (4th) had to give way to Real Madrid (5th) so it was down to the national associations at that time. This is confirmed because the English FA didn't put forward Liverpool as a place in the CL in 2005/6, it was when UEFA decided to change the rule specifying defending champions should win a berth at the expense of the lowest league team that qualified from their association, however they deferred that part of the rule change until the following season.

It has been further changed since to allow a maximum of 5 teams from an association so the only time a qualifying league place is lost (to the Europa League) is when that association has both the CL and EL winners both finishing outside the top 4.

Teams have previously been able to defend their title regardless of their final league position (as with Forest mentioned). However I don't think this was initially carried through to the CL because in 99/00 the champions Real Zaragoza (4th) had to give way to Real Madrid (5th) so it was down to the national associations at that time. This is confirmed because the English FA didn't put forward Liverpool as a place in the CL in 2005/6, it was when UEFA decided to change the rule specifying defending champions should win a berth at the expense of the lowest league team that qualified from their association, however they deferred that part of the rule change until the following season.

It has been further changed since to allow a maximum of 5 teams from an association so the only time a qualifying league place is lost (to the Europa League) is when that association has both the CL and EL winners both finishing outside the top 4.

Thanks for the explanation and it is clear I was right (well MES will be in bed by now so he cant argue back) so up yours MES ha ha ha. Manc lad wins.

BUT (there is always a but !!!) am I right in saying they won the European cup but because they were not proposed as one of the named teams they led an media outcry demanding they be allowed to defend the trophy. It s the media outcry I am looking for clarification on)

Still no update? Well well.

And just exactly how long does it take to check up on whether a player is ineligible or not?

They've had 3 days since it broke.

Or just maybe it was a load of bollocks from the start!

I expect a short statement, a little paragraph in the paper And sky sports breaking news with the yellow ticker tape saying everything is fine, misunderstanding, papers lost now found.

Not a chance they'll be thrown out. Not good for the profile of the competition plus they let Sunderland off with the same offence last year.

They'll get a basic fine and a warning, plus a comment that it didn't effect the result. Which si probably better for us anyway as arsenal may see this as the most realistic domestic trophy to win thus forcing Klopp to play a strong side rather than rest them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.