#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very lively in the 5 or so minutes he got. Lovely finish for his goal. Hoping to see more of him in the coming weeks

I'm ecstatic he got his goal, but I'm genuinely confused with the substitution.

Foden was deemed good enough, reliable enough, safe enough to start 3 must win games in the premier league run in last season.

So why only bring him on in the 91st minute? Why not bring Merlin off after 80 minutes and give Phil 15? I just wish I knew what it is that makes Pep think, "oh it's 85/86/87 minutes, Phil go get ready" because he's done it 9 times since the start of last season.

Couple theories on that. 1) Pep's not big on leaving anything to chance and he's a pretty eccentric guy. 2) The dynamic and flow of the game was completely in control. A substitution like that throws a natural wrinkle in the flow of the game that could tilt the energy and direction. 3) Pep does all of his subs in a pre-determined manner where he has control and if that's broken then the control is lost. In a tight game like 1-0 he won't risk it.

I absolutely agree with you though. That's a situation where it should have happened.

I'm ecstatic he got his goal, but I'm genuinely confused with the substitution.

Foden was deemed good enough, reliable enough, safe enough to start 3 must win games in the premier league run in last season.

So why only bring him on in the 91st minute? Why not bring Merlin off after 80 minutes and give Phil 15? I just wish I knew what it is that makes Pep think, "oh it's 85/86/87 minutes, Phil go get ready" because he's done it 9 times since the start of last season.
The game wasn't deemed to be under control yet.
You don't take of mr. control himself with 15 minutes to play. It's the CL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.