Peter Reid

Remember seeing him on the TV once when he used to do the Soccer Saturday shite a good few years back. He looked or indeed was, absolutely sozzled, no doubt about it.
The ginger pig uses Reid as his role model in that respect.

We finished our highest positions for a long while with the kendal/ reid season and then reids first full season.

I still think he changed styles halfway and when ellis joined the coaching team we gradually went worse when we should have imporved.

Other teams had players of a similar skill level and improved while we went backwards in his next season.

Yes Swales being a tight twat in some deals and then paying above value in others hampered us, but reid made some bad decisions at times too.

He learnt from what he did wrong (fucking off hendry, hughes and allen for one) and went to Sunderland a better manager that started with us.

Always liked him tbf and if honest even now many palyers from that top flight run of machin/kendal/reid/horton are my favourites.

Went to Germany on a pre season tour in the Reid era. It was pretty clear the squad was hugely divided - a couple of players openly told us that they hated Curle - , Sam Ellis was clearly running the show and the boozy culture introduced by Kendall was still evident.

This might be my imagination but was there a chant when he was manager that went something like Peter reids acid House party

Always had a lot of time for Reid. 5th 5th and 9th in the league. The other reason I liked him was at a Derby at Maine Road. Steve Bruce put a tackle into him in front of us in the Kippax. You could hear the impact as Reid went flying. He got up, no word of complaint and carried on playing. It later came out that he had broken 2 ribs. Proper old school.

I like Reid and he did alright with us but it was probably right he went in the end. It didn't help that he replaced a brilliant manager in Kendall who looked to be taking us the right way again until he left abruptly, the twat.

Keith Curle was class.

I can't forgive Reid for not playing Allen and then allowing him to leave. We didn't have a striker as good as him for a decade until Anelka came along briefly.

I can never understand why Clive Allen is rated so highly by some City fans. He scored a great goal at Stamford Bridge - I was there - but not much else that I can remember. I would rate Quinn, Walsh, Rosler and Goater as better strikers for City in the period between Allen and Anelka. Hendry was a far bigger loss imo.

It was a fairly turbulent era. Kendall brought in many old Everton faces (Neil Pointon, Wayne Clarke, Peter Reid, Mark Ward, Gary Megson, Adrian Heath and Alan Harper etc). Sadly all past their best. Brian Horton revitalised the side with Paul Walsh, Uwe Rosler & Peter Beagrie and we played some fantastic football. Sadly it didn't last and money always seemed to dictate the trend under Swales then Franny Lee. Alas, we have since been spoiled beyond recognition - reward for devout support. CTID

I grew up on an era of Reid to Royle. I don't have any memories of any manager before Reid. He did a but of swearing, didn't he?! Remember seeing some footage of him at Sunderland cursing to high hell.

Reid was a tough bugger on the field. Not enough Morrisons, Zabaletas and Reids around these days. Didn't he love a good Listerine and Vodka on his holidays? Gret read, that book of his, Cheer Up! Peter Reid.

NINTCHDBPICT000000958138.jpg

Reid on Maradona, “I certainly don’t call it the ‘Hand of God'. It was the hand of a cheating b******.”

Not sure about some of the points above.

We did not have a better CB than Curle until we signed Kompany (IMO). The football was turgid but solid, I wonder if having Quinn in the team means we defaulted to long ball because of personnel and not Reid, Reid didn't buy Quinn and with Dave White getting injured we were very reliant on Quinn's goals. Paul Lake also never played for Reid (in a fit state at least) and any team would have missed him.

As for Booze. Reid was one of Kendals men and Kendal was the biggest booze monster of the game - all time. Kendal would have weekly team 'meetings' in a pub. The booze culture of the club was clearly rocking when Reid took over - it didn't get any worse because it could not have been any worse.

Some other points i accept but generally it was toward the end of the Swales era and the club was 10 years behind the rest at that point and there was a huge pile of problems. Brian Horton over achieved post Reid in terms of quality of football but then Reid delivered the better points totalls (as i recall it).

So in summary I think Reid was ok in a time when the club was dragging itself downward off the field.
Saw Kendall on a train to Nottingham in the mid-90’s once, and then a couple of days later it was announced he’d got the Notts job, so I assumed he was on his way to his job interview or some similar such meeting. He looked absolutely hammered. I’d heard stories about his drinking, but even so the fucking state he was in took me slightly by surprise, even more so when I realised he was on his way to meet his employers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.