Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't support Guardiola or Bernardo in what's gone on the last few weeks. Bernardo's tweet was a stupid joke which he should've known could get him in serious trouble. The fact he didn't speaks volumes about why people like myself and so many others found it ignorant in the first place. As for what Pep said afterwards, that was equally ignorant. The entire line about how it's "just a picture that looks like his friend" is the kind of defence you'd expect to hear at a Donald Trump rally, not from an urbane, well travelled football manager. Granted in the end Pep was probably just trying to defend his player, but it came off as as tone deaf as Bernardo's tweet.

I think I was pretty measured in what I said on the pod. I wanted to say a lot more, as I'd like to say a lot more on here too, but ultimately there's no point. It's clear there's very little appetite from a lot of people to think beyond the most facile and softest readings of this entire episode. It'll eventually blow over like most things in football do. But it hasn't painted the player or his coach in anything other than the most negative of lights IMO. Trying to turn this into the FA or the PL or the media having an agenda against the club is frankly laughable.

If this were happening at Liverpool I can imagine the moral high grounding on here would be next level. I also remember vividly the absolute furore from Blues when Kyle Walker dared make a joke during the title race. He was absolutely pilloried for it from every corner of our support. Odd then that we don't have the standards for racist imagery that we do for jokes about a title race.
It’s not ignorant if he knew what he was doing.

Thanks for your reply I love the pod by the way.
You are right when you say "Bernardo´s tweet was a stupid joke which he should've known could get him in serious trouble. " I am not saying it was not ill thought off. I am saying that you talked about it like it was a racist thing, not stupid joke. I agree about Walker and I was angry we did'nt stay together supporting him, My problem with this is that Bernardo does not get the support and when he did with Pep you say it is like a Trump rally , common is that fair... For the first English is not Pep first language nether Bernardo's or me LOL. You can hear that Pep has problem finding the wright words when he is upset and want to say something .

Maybe he didn´t find the right words do use.
If you dont think that Bernardo is a racist or think that Pep was supporting racism them perhaps you should say so.
It must be very hard living with been accused of racial behaviour or defending racial behaviour if you didnt mean to .

In Portugal this image is still used that is why he used it.

It's a very fair argument that English isn't Pep's first language. But in his desire to defend his player he downplayed the severity of what Bernardo tweeted, that's my issue tbh. He should've just said "Bernardo isn't racist, but he should also not have tweeted that image" - would've been the end of the news cycle.

I don't think anyone could even misinterpret what we said about both Pep and Bernardo. Collectively we love them both. We said that. We don't think either is racist. We said that. But we we were honest also about why we had a problem with what unfolded.

I don't support Guardiola or Bernardo in what's gone on the last few weeks. Bernardo's tweet was a stupid joke which he should've known could get him in serious trouble. The fact he didn't speaks volumes about why people like myself and so many others found it ignorant in the first place. As for what Pep said afterwards, that was equally ignorant. The entire line about how it's "just a picture that looks like his friend" is the kind of defence you'd expect to hear at a Donald Trump rally, not from an urbane, well travelled football manager. Granted in the end Pep was probably just trying to defend his player, but it came off as as tone deaf as Bernardo's tweet.

I think I was pretty measured in what I said on the pod. I wanted to say a lot more, as I'd like to say a lot more on here too, but ultimately there's no point. It's clear there's very little appetite from a lot of people to think beyond the most facile and softest readings of this entire episode. It'll eventually blow over like most things in football do. But it hasn't painted the player or his coach in anything other than the most negative of lights IMO. Trying to turn this into the FA or the PL or the media having an agenda against the club is frankly laughable.

If this were happening at Liverpool I can imagine the moral high grounding on here would be next level. I also remember vividly the absolute furore from Blues when Kyle Walker dared make a joke during the title race. He was absolutely pilloried for it from every corner of our support. Odd then that we don't have the standards for racist imagery that we do for jokes about a title race.

Bernardo meant no offence at all by his tweet. It was a joke between friends about what Bernardo thought Mendy would look like as a child. True.

However, the imagery used could be deemed offensive as the cartoon imagine of a black person with overly large pink lips was often used in previous decades to show black people in a poor or comedic light.

The issue really is one of education. Bernardo clearly didn’t mean to offend anyone. What he’s done is no where close to say Suarez calling someone a derogatory name because of their skin colour. We also have to take into account that people from other countries and cultures don’t always have the same learnings about racial issues.

Taking all this into account Bernardo should be warned that images such as this could be deemed offensive and perhaps go on some awareness course. A ban wouldn’t be justified.

So, the pictures comparing KDB and the home alone kiddy are somehow different? That is the point that Bernie and Pep are correctly making. Just because Mendy happens to be black he gets compared to a black picture, obviously. Anyone who fails to see that Mendy is not being looked at by Bernie as a black person but as a person which is what the great orator ML King asked for.

Bernie is actually ahead of his time, it is the FA and associated kick it out people who cannot actually see that some people do not see colour which is a real shame and a damnation on their ignorance.

It isn't that he compared him to a black cartoon character. It's the choice of character that's the problem because it's considered a racist stereotype.

The charge was inevitable, and I'd expect it regardless of who it was and who he plays for.

I'd also expect a match ban. It was the same that Mario got a year or two ago.

Can't see 6 matches no matter how many people in the press seem to really really want it.

Apparently it's the FA's minimum suspension. An article in the Times during the summer. Both FIFA and UEFA want 10 match bans:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-told-to-increase-ban-for-racism-lzzgcctvj#

Pep was called a racist,he was probably really hurt by that ,his defence of a guy like bernie from the same thing is totally understandable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.