Vimto

ive got a mate called knocker. they call him this coz as a kid his parents had no dough and he used to knock on all the neighbours doors and ask for vimto. got to the stage where the neighbours used to buy vimto for his parents to stop him knocking on all the time. 40 years on and he is still called knocker.

kippaxwarrior said:
The best drink ever to quench your thirst? Got to be
Drank 2 pints of it in the last 20 minutes
Beautiful stuff!

I love this stuff, even worked for them for a yr a good few years back and got a tour round the factory, never met Purple Ronnie though!!

Add Vim or Gin & Tonic? (The below is from my blog post)

Vimto & Maine Road
(Manchester City’s former home ground) have an unusual connection: Vimto. In 1851, the U.S. state of Maine was the first to outlaw alcoholic beverages. Manchester City Football Club’s then owners named the new ground’s road after this U.S. state. Temperance was quite a popular social campaign, much like Twitter campaigns like Jake Parker’s Inktober. That temperance movement made Vimto popular in the U.K. and gave Vimto a gateway to the world. The Middle East embraced Vimto long before Manchester City were heard of. The Saudi company, Abdulla Aujan & Brothers, had the sole rights in 1920s – and in a place with no letter V in their alphabet. A strong movement of division that brought about togetherness in a way…

Any other sources (pun there somewhere) for Vimto and City's Maine Road naming connection?

Maine Road was originally called Dog Kennel Lane. That could have been a whole different story. Good for being sent to the doghouse mind. Cityzens could have branded Doggystyle and we could have had a whole different identity.

Sources:
Ramadan piece
James, Gary (2009). The Big Book of City. James Ward. ISBN 978-0-9558127-2-9.
Collins, Nick (28 January 2011). "The temperance movement". The Telegraph.

Band on The Wall

On a side note the MEN ran this article quoting Boris Johnson:

"I was nourished on Ribena and I can't deny it" says the PM in what many are joking could be a vote loser in the city

My lads think it's funny when I tell them the story of when we would and visit my grandparents at every Easter, that my mum and dad would buy bottles of vimto as we couldnt buy it in Kent back in the 70's !!
I used to take a big Rucksack back with me full of Hollands Puddings, Vimto, Bacon Ribs and Black Puddings as you could not get them down South at the time. And not forgetting proper Oven Bottom Barms.

I used to take a big Rucksack back with me full of Hollands Puddings, Vimto, Bacon Ribs and Black Puddings as you could not get them down South at the time. And not forgetting proper Oven Bottom Barms.

Our family friends owned the cake box on fog lane . They would give us bags of home made barns, angle cake and a really nice pie I think it might have been a blueberry pie but not sure ..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.