Zagreb fans behaviour

I'm no stranger to witnessing violence and hooliganism in the 70's and 80's and as everyone knows it was far worse then than what it is today. Since we moved to the Etihad I stand at the end of a row in 111 right next to the segregation barrier, so I am as well qualified as anyone to comment upon last night and give it some context. I've witnessed within touching distance every group of away fans at the Etihad, whether they be rags, scousers, cockneys, Welsh, Scottish or indeed foreign fans from Italy, Poland or Eastern Europe. So here is my two pence worth on last night.
Whilst the Zagrab fans last night aren't even close to being as violent as it once was, they were by far the worse that I have seen at the Etihad, and I've seen every single one of the away fans followings. Right from kick off they were aggressive and intimidating, particularly those next to me at the bottom corner near East Stand 111. This was made worse in that particular section due to the fact that one particular City fan was openly wearing an Hadjuk Split football shirt, Zagrebs hated rivals, only a few yards away from the segregation barrier. This provocative act certainly had its desired effect to the already boisterous and aggressive Zagreb fans near to us in 111. The missiles were thrown initially towards this fan but many innocents were hit in the barrage. I was hit on the head with a lighter and numerous coins, together with being hit on the head by a seat which also broke my spectacles as they were hit and fell on the floor. I collected six euro coins and handed them to a senior Showsec steward to aid his memory and include it in any post match report or debriefing he may do.
After around 15 minutes two plain clothes police from Zagreb informed Showsec stewards and the six or so GMP officers there of the offending shirt and he subsequently put his coat on before eventually moving away from the area. It was obvious that the situation could easily have got out of hand, not just near us but almost everywhere along all the segregation lines around their fans. The Showsec stewards were out of their depth and comfort zone, as the majority on duty were either young girls or young lads, more used to working pop bands at the MEN Arena, than boisterous Eastern European football ultras. There were a total of six GMP officers without riot gear near to us and a further nine dotted around the other segregation lines. This was clearly insufficient to control the Zagreb fans, who by now were openly drinking, smoking, kicking seats, spitting, throwing seats and generally behaving aggressively without any form of intervention whatsoever. The game was 70 minutes old before 15 GMP officers arrived near to 111 to stand on the segregation line properly kitted out in helmets and the like. Even then they deliberately refused to remove any Zagreb fan displaying threatening behaviour, making Nazi salutes, or indeed the customary "offering out" of our fans. There were no takers from our side, whether this was due to a lack of "back up numbers" or from seeing sense.
After 30 minutes or so, missiles were still being sporadically launched, my 22 year old son was hit on the temple by a flying seat. My other son, 24, stood next to his brother and directly behind me, quite rightly had seen and had enough, not just his Dad and brother being hit on the head with seats, but by GMP's authoritative attitude towards us and not towards the Zagreb fans. He became verbally aggressive and kicked at his seat in frustration, at the complete lack of control shown by the stewards and GMP. But guess what? All of a sudden a couple of GMP officers decided to show a bit of authority and got another couple of GMP officers ready to throw out (arrest maybe?) my two sons and myself for what can only be described as us showing frustration at the events, not even showing meek retaliation. To avoid being thrown out or arrested or seriously hurt by flying coins and seats, I had to tell my two sons to leave the area minutes before half time. I too decided it best to leave the area so watched the rest of the game from near the back of the stand.
All this leaves a few questions needing to be answered. Why were there NO Police manning the segregation lines at the beginning of the match? Why were there insufficient numbers of Police on the segregation lines throughout the whole game? Why did it take 70 minutes before 15 Police dressed appropriately in riot gear, arrive at the volatile area near to 111? Why did GMP Police only act against City fans who had reacted to being hit with missiles, or covered in spit and piss? The Police were clearly outnumbered and ill prepared and it was no wonder they refused to control the Zagreb fans, clearly refusing to go in amongst the Zagreb fans for fear of their own safety and/or further inciting the already volatile away fans atmosphere.
These questions need answering because without doubt, if the Zagreb fans near to us in 111 really wanted to jump over the segregating barrier, then they could have easily done so. No doubt much fisticuffs would then have resulted and quite a few innocent City fans would have sustained injury. We have all seen pockets of European fans over the years in "our ends" at the Etihad and we have all seen rowdy and boisterous European away fans along the segregation lines. Unfortunately UEFA and the GMP will not learn or heed the warnings from last night and previous. It is unfortunately only a matter of time before it does "kick off" properly. Apologies for the long post.
Don’t apologise for the length of the post, it is one of the most eloquent and articulate posts I have ever read in here. I hope you and your two boys are ok. I hope GMP are extremely proud of themselves

Me and the lad I sit next to were singing along with them for a bit. Every one of their songs had two words “Dinamo” and “Zagreb” and that was the length and breadth of their entire song sheet.

But their “Dinamo” sounded like “Feed The Goat” so every new song they started we just joined in singing “Feed The Goat”.

One was “Allez Dinamo, Allez Dinamo, Allez Dinamo Allez Dinamo, Allez Zagreb woah”

And I’m telling you it didn’t half sound like they were singing “gonna feed my goat, gonna feed my goat, gonna feed my goat gonna feed my goat, gonna shag that goat”.

So we just sang that along with them.

Do you think these Europop Ultras ever come up with a funny off-the-cuff chant?

Reckon any have had any as good as this:

Think you two were on the row behind us. That was feckin funny when you two started singing "feed the goat" to their song. I did join in for a bit but as you know there wasn't many City around us who were willing to sing. Credit to you lads for singing all night.

Don’t apologise for the length of the post, it is one of the most eloquent and articulate posts I have ever read in here. I hope you and your two boys are ok. I hope GMP are extremely proud of themselves
Yep good post I was in 109 saw a few things flying into that area think i have been hard pushed to watch the game if I'd been in 111 dodging the bombardment. Maybe while we're still in the EU we should hire a few of Madrids finest they have no qualms about knocking 7 bells out of away fans especially if they're English.

I'm no stranger to witnessing violence and hooliganism in the 70's and 80's and as everyone knows it was far worse then than what it is today. Since we moved to the Etihad I stand at the end of a row in 111 right next to the segregation barrier, so I am as well qualified as anyone to comment upon last night and give it some context. I've witnessed within touching distance every group of away fans at the Etihad, whether they be rags, scousers, cockneys, Welsh, Scottish or indeed foreign fans from Italy, Poland or Eastern Europe. So here is my two pence worth on last night.
Whilst the Zagrab fans last night aren't even close to being as violent as it once was, they were by far the worse that I have seen at the Etihad, and I've seen every single one of the away fans followings. Right from kick off they were aggressive and intimidating, particularly those next to me at the bottom corner near East Stand 111. This was made worse in that particular section due to the fact that one particular City fan was openly wearing an Hadjuk Split football shirt, Zagrebs hated rivals, only a few yards away from the segregation barrier. This provocative act certainly had its desired effect to the already boisterous and aggressive Zagreb fans near to us in 111. The missiles were thrown initially towards this fan but many innocents were hit in the barrage. I was hit on the head with a lighter and numerous coins, together with being hit on the head by a seat which also broke my spectacles as they were hit and fell on the floor. I collected six euro coins and handed them to a senior Showsec steward to aid his memory and include it in any post match report or debriefing he may do.
After around 15 minutes two plain clothes police from Zagreb informed Showsec stewards and the six or so GMP officers there of the offending shirt and he subsequently put his coat on before eventually moving away from the area. It was obvious that the situation could easily have got out of hand, not just near us but almost everywhere along all the segregation lines around their fans. The Showsec stewards were out of their depth and comfort zone, as the majority on duty were either young girls or young lads, more used to working pop bands at the MEN Arena, than boisterous Eastern European football ultras. There were a total of six GMP officers without riot gear near to us and a further nine dotted around the other segregation lines. This was clearly insufficient to control the Zagreb fans, who by now were openly drinking, smoking, kicking seats, spitting, throwing seats and generally behaving aggressively without any form of intervention whatsoever. The game was 70 minutes old before 15 GMP officers arrived near to 111 to stand on the segregation line properly kitted out in helmets and the like. Even then they deliberately refused to remove any Zagreb fan displaying threatening behaviour, making Nazi salutes, or indeed the customary "offering out" of our fans. There were no takers from our side, whether this was due to a lack of "back up numbers" or from seeing sense.
After 30 minutes or so, missiles were still being sporadically launched, my 22 year old son was hit on the temple by a flying seat. My other son, 24, stood next to his brother and directly behind me, quite rightly had seen and had enough, not just his Dad and brother being hit on the head with seats, but by GMP's authoritative attitude towards us and not towards the Zagreb fans. He became verbally aggressive and kicked at his seat in frustration, at the complete lack of control shown by the stewards and GMP. But guess what? All of a sudden a couple of GMP officers decided to show a bit of authority and got another couple of GMP officers ready to throw out (arrest maybe?) my two sons and myself for what can only be described as us showing frustration at the events, not even showing meek retaliation. To avoid being thrown out or arrested or seriously hurt by flying coins and seats, I had to tell my two sons to leave the area minutes before half time. I too decided it best to leave the area so watched the rest of the game from near the back of the stand.
All this leaves a few questions needing to be answered. Why were there NO Police manning the segregation lines at the beginning of the match? Why were there insufficient numbers of Police on the segregation lines throughout the whole game? Why did it take 70 minutes before 15 Police dressed appropriately in riot gear, arrive at the volatile area near to 111? Why did GMP Police only act against City fans who had reacted to being hit with missiles, or covered in spit and piss? The Police were clearly outnumbered and ill prepared and it was no wonder they refused to control the Zagreb fans, clearly refusing to go in amongst the Zagreb fans for fear of their own safety and/or further inciting the already volatile away fans atmosphere.
These questions need answering because without doubt, if the Zagreb fans near to us in 111 really wanted to jump over the segregating barrier, then they could have easily done so. No doubt much fisticuffs would then have resulted and quite a few innocent City fans would have sustained injury. We have all seen pockets of European fans over the years in "our ends" at the Etihad and we have all seen rowdy and boisterous European away fans along the segregation lines. Unfortunately UEFA and the GMP will not learn or heed the warnings from last night and previous. It is unfortunately only a matter of time before it does "kick off" properly. Apologies for the long post.

The rival shirt makes sense! I was in 116 and, while glad it wasn't coming towards us, I couldn't figure out what was happening down in the bottom corner to get all of their attention!

You say you're in bottom corner of 111. I saw a a broken seat hit a lad, looked about 18, maybe even your lad. If so I hope he's alright pal because he looked dazed and confused. As you say Showsec were well out of their depth. Good job TAU turned up as I feel it would have definitely blown if they hadn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.