Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason this has got far more coverage than it needed to is that the club's handling of the situation has been inept, naive, stupid and as a result, counter productive

Not many people think bernardo is a racist nor were his actions necessarily racist

Society has focussed in recent times way too much on whether specific individual actions are racist. That is nigh on irrellevant. An action can be inappropriate and/or offensive without being racist

If the club & bernardo did what they should have done, which is to quickly explain that they understand why it was inappropriate and could be misconstrued, it would have nipped it in the bud

No right minded person thinks that bernardo and mendy enjoy anything other than a very close friendly relationship which included banter between the two of them. Those posts trying to work out who may have been offended, who has been offended, how intentional it was, etc have no bearing whatsoever on that fact you have to have been living in a cave, or deliberately obtuse, to not recognize that multiple incidents of banter that keep referencing skin colour, played out to a social media audience of millions, is asking for trouble

As a fan I hate to say this, but I'm afraid the club & bernardo only have themselves to blame if he gets a ban, given how shockingly badly they have dealt with the situation

What ban do you believe he will receive, for this shocking handling.

He calls out Pep for saying black people / normal people.

He also says that "He doesnt think Pep or Bernardo is racist" - Was that even on the agenda? No one thinks Bernardo is racist (Unless you hate City) but he's put the message out there that lots think it is racist, and he doesnt "For what it's worth"

I thought it was a delicate hatchet job, but I am trying not to see through biased lenses
Like me, I’m sure, you’ll frequently see what you want to see. I saw no hatchet job, delicate or otherwise.

I get the point you're making. Carragher shouldn't have said it. It doesn't make what Bernardo said right though. Carragher doesn't have to answer to the FA, whilst Bernardo does. It's more the faux outrage that's hypocritical.

The whole situation is a fine line. Sure, it's alright for Bernardo to say it in a humorous manner to his friend. But if a social media troll posted it, we'd all be up in arms. Rather than trying to debate the ethics and margins for error between who can, who can't, in which situations etc... just don't be reckless and post something of that nature when you're one of the highest profile footballers in the country.

Fortunately, I think the FA will consider the nature of it all. It's hardly Luis Suarez calling Evra the N word on the pitch.

Completely agree. Under the circumstances you would think a written warning would suffice. If this had happened in my workplace and it had been reported I like to think that I would have taken the action and warned the offender about his future use of such expressions. Buy I am not the FA who will, probably, want to set an example as the first to be brought to their attention.

I've just read it and I agree. I've not commented much on this topic and couldn't be arsed getting involved in any Twitter discussion because it just descends into a cesspool of football tribalism. With regards to this forum, I think too many are adopting a siege mentality but it would be no different at any other club if it was them in the spotlight. For me, I think what Bernardo did is similar to 2 other well-documented incidents over the past couple of seasons and would put all 3 in the bracket of no malice intended but it is racial stereotyping.

The first one concerned United fans a couple of seasons back and that song they came up with about Lukaku. There was a big thread about it on Red Cafe and I found myself in the unusual position of a City fan kind of defending the fans who sang when other United fans on there were condemning the chant. In percentage terms, Red Cafe doesn't have too many match-going fans compared to here and I felt one of the match-going fans who was on there and actively posting on the thread was getting an unfair amount of stick. However, at the same time I acknowledged that the comments from Kick It Out and some posters on there that even racial stereotypes that are perceived to be positive are unacceptable too have to be taken into account. I can't remember the exact timeline but I think United eventually came out with a statement asking fans to stop singing the song. They might have even warned that fans may face action if they continued to sing it. I remember saying that once that statement came out, they really should stop singing it, but in true football fan defiance - as opposed to anything more sinister IMO - I think it got sang even more at the next game! It wasn't long after that that I think they got the message and the song died out but I came away from that Red Cafe discussion more educated on the topic than before, and that even though the intended recipient isn't offended (and I'm pretty sure Lukaku said he wasn't) then that doesn't mean others can't be.

The second one was the Tweet by Alan Sugar last year about the Senegalese football team. It's funny when you see so many doubling down in this thread in defence of Bernardo but on the Sugar thread there were plenty who were more than happy to call him out for being a racist. I think I said at the time that I didn't believe he was racist but it was racial stereotyping and so was a daft thing to tweet.

For me the common denominator in all 3 incidents is that the United fans (as a collective singing the song rather than any individuals who may hold racist views), Sugar, and Bernardo are not racist, there was no malicious intent in any of the instances, but they're all examples of racial stereotyping and shouldn't be aired in the public domain to a wider audience.

I'll add that if he gets a ban that would an over the top punishment and a bit of education training from Kick It Out would be more appropriate
Where's the racial stereotyping in Mendy's tweet? He commented on his appearance. It's good advice not to reference or joke about any black man's appearance not becasue it may offend them but because it's a minefield.

What happened to freedom of speech and the right to be offensive? Brave new world of social control.

Rather than criticise City for not controlling their players, I think we should criticise this brave new world.

This a world where we have a race relations policy and images of Abu Ghraib existing side by side. I doubt many Iraqi nationals think much of British commitments to linguistic respect. OK that was the Americans, but you get the point.

I've just read it and I agree. I've not commented much on this topic and couldn't be arsed getting involved in any Twitter discussion because it just descends into a cesspool of football tribalism. With regards to this forum, I think too many are adopting a siege mentality but it would be no different at any other club if it was them in the spotlight. For me, I think what Bernardo did is similar to 2 other well-documented incidents over the past couple of seasons and would put all 3 in the bracket of no malice intended but it is racial stereotyping.

The first one concerned United fans a couple of seasons back and that song they came up with about Lukaku. There was a big thread about it on Red Cafe and I found myself in the unusual position of a City fan kind of defending the fans who sang when other United fans on there were condemning the chant. In percentage terms, Red Cafe doesn't have too many match-going fans compared to here and I felt one of the match-going fans who was on there and actively posting on the thread was getting an unfair amount of stick. However, at the same time I acknowledged that the comments from Kick It Out and some posters on there that even racial stereotypes that are perceived to be positive are unacceptable too have to be taken into account. I can't remember the exact timeline but I think United eventually came out with a statement asking fans to stop singing the song. They might have even warned that fans may face action if they continued to sing it. I remember saying that once that statement came out, they really should stop singing it, but in true football fan defiance - as opposed to anything more sinister IMO - I think it got sang even more at the next game! It wasn't long after that that I think they got the message and the song died out but I came away from that Red Cafe discussion more educated on the topic than before, and that even though the intended recipient isn't offended (and I'm pretty sure Lukaku said he wasn't) then that doesn't mean others can't be.

The second one was the Tweet by Alan Sugar last year about the Senegalese football team. It's funny when you see so many doubling down in this thread in defence of Bernardo but on the Sugar thread there were plenty who were more than happy to call him out for being a racist. I think I said at the time that I didn't believe he was racist but it was racial stereotyping and so was a daft thing to tweet.

For me the common denominator in all 3 incidents is that the United fans (as a collective singing the song rather than any individuals who may hold racist views), Sugar, and Bernardo are not racist, there was no malicious intent in any of the instances, but they're all examples of racial stereotyping and shouldn't be aired in the public domain to a wider audience.

I'll add that if he gets a ban that would be an over the top punishment and a bit of education training from Kick It Out would be more appropriate

What a good article. Could not agree more. Whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

So friend, why would you post to the world that your Mrs. calls Hispanics “Pedro”?

Well, firstly, you don't know my wife, so in effect this isn't about two people in a public domain.

I posted what I did in order to show my dislike for racial stereotype.

If you're attempting a 'gotcha', my friend, you're far off the mark.

Spoke to a guy today who is in his own words 'African descent' and said the whole thing is mad. It wasn't racist and it's the people saying it was are the ones who are probably racist. You can't be offended on behalf of someone who wasn't offended.

You are not wrong there - we have situations here in NZ where apologies are being given for events that occurred 250 years ago.
One side recorded the event in their journals / logs, the other side couldn't read or write at that time so how can they prove their version of events.
But PC is the order of the day unfortunately.

WTF??

These are not the same thing!!

If you're talking about the logged history of Cpt Cook killing 8 men of the Maori tribe out of fear and misunderstanding, why shouldn't that apology happen..?

Anyway, that will be my only retort to stupidity.

Funny thing when I saw it , I thought it does look abit like Mendy. Didnt enter my head it was racist. But I guess everything can be seen as racist if you want it to. If a coloured person posted a white cartoon character picture of someone who looks like me is racist. As I thought it looked abit like Mendy does that make me a racist ?

Serious question is being called a manc racist ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.