Bernardo Silva charged with misconduct by FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope - it's only made me realise how racial stereotypes like the one in question are unintentionally perpetuated and reinforced, but then used maliciously when in the wrong hands.

As for claiming that you're a 'majority', I suggest you don't have any evidence to back that up. My belief is that it's not an appropriate thing to post online, especially by someone of global stature, and I put it to you that the majority feel the same.

I've spoken to a few City-supporting mates about this. None of us are of the so-called "snowflake" variety but the overriding opinion amongst us was that while there was clearly no malice intended we were all pretty much of the opinion that "Uh-oh, I'm not sure that was a particularly sensible thing to tweet". I think a lot of the reactions in this thread are more a case of doubling down than anything more sinister but perhaps those saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tweet ask yourselves, hand on heart, would you have been perfectly comfortable tweeting that yourselves and to such a large following?

Or maybe you're just wrong or don't want to understand why the majority think this is a non racism issue. You disparage posters who have raised the KDB/tintin analogy, and apologies for not being as "clever" as you - but that is the crux of this specific topic. What does somebody look like in their opinion - which was not racist. You dig back in history, as some have done, for spears and the plight of African Americans and Apartheid all appalling and rightly condemned by all, all you want to cloud the issue - but it was not racist it didn't offend the recipient, there was absolutely no racist intent, no malice whatsoever. You could argue that it was in an open forum and it offended some he should apololgise - but that is the slippery slope - appeasing people who are easily offended is to slowly curtail and erode personal freedoms. If someone is determined to be affronted, no matter how mistakenly, is it now expected that they be placated.
I'm not going to retype another long post on this, the one I had done before was moved with the last thread. But for the thousandth time, it is not racist or offensive in any way to compare your mate to a person or character because they look like them, regardless of race, EXCEPT when said character has a long history of being used by racists to dehumanize minorities (as this one obviously does, see the spears comment from earlier). It wasn't a private message, it was a public forum and black people don't want to see racist stereotypes from the last century on twitter. This isn't complicated.

And again, to be clear, I do not think Bernardo is racist, nor did he mean malice. He shouldn't be banned, but he needs a talking to explaining why what he did was in a bad taste to bridge the cultural misunderstanding that caused this whole issue.

Given he's apologised, I think it's a bit weird that his "can’t even joke with a friend these days... You guys..." tweet is still up. Surprised nobody's given him a heads up to take that down whilst any sanction is still being decided.

I'm not going to retype another long post on this, the one I had done before was moved with the last thread. But for the thousandth time, it is not racist or offensive in any way to compare your mate to a person or character because they look like them, regardless of race, EXCEPT when said character has a long history of being used by racists to dehumanize minorities (as this one obviously does, see the spears comment from earlier). It wasn't a private message, it was a public forum and black people don't want to see racist stereotypes from the last century on twitter. This isn't complicated.

And again, to be clear, I do not think Bernardo is racist, nor did he mean malice. He shouldn't be banned, but he needs a talking to explaining why what he did was in a bad taste to bridge the cultural misunderstanding that caused this whole issue.
You were doing well until EXCEPT and then portrayed your true intent to attach a racism agenda. Do that by all means and where it is necessary - but I don't feel it is warranted. You do - end of.

You were doing well until EXCEPT and then portrayed your true intent to attach a racism agenda. Do that by all means and where it is necessary - but I don't feel it is warranted. You do - end of.
Thank you for illustrating exactly what I meant earlier.

Step 1: "oh, it is RACIST to compare De Bruyne to tin tin now??"
Step 2: post explaining the difference
Step 3: refusal to engage

Round and round it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.