The most mental pub in Manchester?

Just had a look for the pub I’m trying to find without success. Time plays tricks on the memory but hopefully someone will have an idea.

Come out of the Whitworth and turn left (petrol garage was opposite)

Walk about quarter of a mile and take a left turn which was essentially the start of Maine Road, there was a street sign. On the right hand side there was a pub, in our twenties we went in once. It was not the friendliest boozer I’ve been in.

For the next 15 years or so we walked past that pub every game without ever going in again. My mate who used to supply sandwiches to the garage opposite the Whitworth was told it was frequented by wrong uns (drugs, firearms) and best avoided.

I guess the pub would be classed as Rusholme rather than Moss Side.

What were the three in Hulme on Chester Road, The Pomana Palace, a Hydes pub ad one other ? They were pretty lively and you were always guaranteed to be able to get your wife/girlfriend a birthday present, even if it was a socket set.
I had my stag do in those pubs.

I remember us staying in there much longer than normal one Saturday after a home game. The locals started to arrive for their Saturday night out and we were 'advised' to leave

The Claremont was even worse

The Claremont was my old man’s pub, It did make me giggle in there.... what I liked was the mixture of fans on match day. The away supporters knew exactly where they were and it very rarely kicked off for that reason.

My closest mate had a house on Hartington St, right behind it, we decided for nostalgia purposes when he was moving, to go down memory lane (was only 4 years ago) I swear to you it’s exactly the same decor, from toilets to table and chairs, you can even make out the chalk outlines on the floor (:...

Brilliant days those were, surprised nobody mentioned the Sherwood either, I see the old landlord Steve at the match quite often!

The Claremont was my old man’s pub, It did make me giggle in there.... what I liked was the mixture of fans on match day. The away supporters knew exactly where they were and it very rarely kicked off for that reason.

My closest mate had a house on Hartington St, right behind it, we decided for nostalgia purposes when he was moving, to go down memory lane (was only 4 years ago) I swear to you it’s exactly the same decor, from toilets to table and chairs, you can even make out the chalk outlines on the floor (:...

As your old man was the landlord you may be the man to ask, about 3 doors down was a 'club' Whilst it was open in the afternoon it only got busy from 3pm when the pubs shut until about 6,30 when the pubs reopened. Do you remember the name of it, actually as I type this, The Volta springs to mind, was that it ?
Brilliant days those were, surprised nobody mentioned the Sherwood either, I see the old landlord Steve at the match quite often!

The landlord also ran a Shabeen but I can't think of his name, great pub, sold more weed than beer.

As a silly young lad I had to do community service, part of that was gutting the old Robinson/Watson’s shebeen, which was off baraclough rd (if I remember right), there were bullet holes throughout the cellar.

As a silly young lad I had to do community service, part of that was gutting the old Robinson/Watson’s shebeen, which was off baraclough rd (if I remember right), there were bullet holes throughout the cellar.

That was the name, Don Watson, bloody hell, ran 3 Broadfield Road as a Shebeen as well as the pub. This is like all our yesterdays

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.