The most mental pub in Manchester?

He wasn’t the landlord, mate, apologies, can see how it reads.... it was meant in it being his drinking hole when I was a kid, most of his pals drank in there..

Probably off my radar the place you’re suggesting, although I’m sure my dad will know, ill see what he says, if you don’t find out before!

He wasn’t the landlord, mate, apologies, can see how it reads.... it was meant in it being his drinking hole when I was a kid, most of his pals drank in there..

Probably off my radar the place you’re suggesting, although I’m sure my dad will know, ill see what he says, if you don’t find out before!

yeh I am an old soak so the memory from the early 80's isn't best ever. Don Watson ran 3 Broadfield Road I remember that, I an sure the other place was called the Volta Club, so who ran the Robin Hood is still a mystery. Ah well. happy days.

yeh I am an old soak so the memory from the early 80's isn't best ever. Don Watson ran 3 Broadfield Road I remember that, I an sure the other place was called the Volta Club, so who ran the Robin Hood is still a mystery. Ah well. happy days.

The Robin Hood was run by the infamous George ‘the tv’ Nelsons son, Clive, or at least for a time. His dad was one of those wide heads from the 80s, legends in their own right.. if my dad ever wanted anything, meat, tobacco, clothes, you’d toddle off to the Denmark, where George had his own corner to do business... he was also good for a couple of quid when I was a nipper, I’d have more money than my old man after doing the rounds.... special days for me as a kid!

Fucking hell I went into waves again today on route to the brexit supporters area out side the midland hotel.

For those that don’t know it this pub is downstairs on Oldham street underneath sachas. I had a pint and I think the locals thought Prince Charles had walked in.

I am still a little messed up from my half hour in there.

What’s your maddest pub experience?

I am seriously struggling with what I witnessed!
That one and City Arms Oldham Street

In the 70’s I was a member Ladybarn British Legion darts team, it was great going to away pubs with the exception of the Orian on Burton Road. It was always hard to get a full team to go there but the worst was when only 4 of us went after somebody had been axed in his head the week before. We offered to play two ties each which was refused but they still insisted we play anyway which was pretty fucking pointless. The noise and venom directed at us whilst we were throwing was out of this world. It still amazes me how many cunts could fit into such a small pub.

Robin Hood? Later sold second hand fridges, washers etc
My mate just texted me with that name, cheers, that’s the one. As someone else posted I think it was used for drug dealing rather than selling ale. It was a proper shithole, had at least one bouncer on the door in later years, I can sleep tonight now.

The Robin Hood was run by the infamous George ‘the tv’ Nelsons son, Clive, or at least for a time. His dad was one of those wide heads from the 80s, legends in their own right.. if my dad ever wanted anything, meat, tobacco, clothes, you’d toddle off to the Denmark, where George had his own corner to do business... he was also good for a couple of quid when I was a nipper, I’d have more money than my old man after doing the rounds.... special days for me as a kid!
It had its own mystique about the place, you couldn’t see in through the windows and if you weren’t known you probably wouldn’t get in. After our initial visit probably around 1987 we always walked past wanting to go in but more than scared enough not to.

It went down hill when the area got saturated with Smack Phil....& muggers.

Hell of a shame. Had many a good pre match session in there. The goat curry with a 5” shard of bone in it was an experience ;)
Was it the Huntsman on Wilmslow Rd? Some interesting characters in there, thought I’d stumbled in on the monsters ball ;)
And that’s where I was when we were shit. Happy days ;)

there used to be a old Irish pub on the bottom of oldham road right on the edge of town near yates called the St vincent and in the 1970s early 80s was a place you knew you was out of place if you asked for a pint with a manc accent, many a story from that pub from the old timers and lots of dodgy stuff going on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.