Liverpool pay City £1 million in "spy" settlement for hacking - biggest PL scandal

It's just the way the history clubs roll - gaining advantage by whatever means are necessary and then using violence, intimidation, hush money their influence to suppress any suggestion of wrongdoing. The murky world of football is about to get a whole lot murkier.

The Premier League do, and last week it was them who was getting pressure from other clubs to investigate, per The Times.
Yes. Other clubs will wonder whether they have been hacked or will be in future and will move to protect themselves not only technically but also by making an example of pool.

I think The Times are right when they say it would be the biggest scandal in history if it blew up to it's fullest potential.

For a points deduction to happen, I think the police would have to get involved.

But we all know it won't blow up to its fullest potential as the press, a few people aside, have barely interest in it whatsoever. It's barely registered on anyone's radar tbh.

But we all know it won't blow up to its fullest potential as the press, a few people aside, have barely interest in it whatsoever. It's barely registered on anyone's radar tbh.

That depends, if the FA charge them then it'll blow.

It wouldn't be the first scandal to start with a whimper and then go nuclear.

The picture we have at the moment is -

- City found proof of Liverpool senior staff illegally accessing their scouting system and took it to Liverpool.
- FA has seen the reports and has asked City for information.
- An MP has said the FA should investigate
- Premier League is being pressured to investigate by other clubs.

All it would take is for City to share the findings of their security experts from 2013 and suddenly the FA would have to investigate, the Premier League would have to follow & it becomes front page news.

The only thing that will stop this is City shutting it down.

- City found proof of Liverpool senior staff illegally accessing their scouting system.

All it would take is for City to decide to share the findings of their security experts from 2013 and suddenly the FA would have to investigate, the Premier League would have to follow and it becomes front page news.

I get all that. It's just Liverpool though innit haha. Even if it does blow up I reckon it'd be an article on a few back pages one day, gone the next. I know that makes no sense, but yeah. Liverpool. I'm inherently cynical about the way they're treated and always will be. The press want their fan's readership and the Premier League don't want to hamper Liverpool as they know their product does better if they do well due to the global appeal. I'd expect a fine and a warning or sumat pitiful like a suspended sentence if they ever did it again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- City found proof of Liverpool senior staff illegally accessing their scouting system and took it to Liverpool.

All it would take is for City to share the findings of their security experts from 2013 and suddenly the FA would have to investigate, the Premier League would have to follow & it becomes front page news.

The only thing that will stop this is City shutting it down.
What's to stop the Premier league and FA saying it was dealt with at the time with the settlement between both clubs?

What's to stop the Premier league and FA saying it was dealt with at the time with the settlement between both clubs?

Pressure from other clubs, and the fact that City would be essentially saying it wasn't settled with the settlement if they turn over information. Also the fact it involves actual criminal activity.

Just wrong. It is both a criminal and a civil matter. The party who has been hacked may sue for any loss, e.g. Commercial information.
City did not accept a payment for concealing a crime, but for the tort. Compare theft which is a crime but also the common law tort of trespass to goods and the party who is the victim may issue civil proceedings.
PS EDIT. Not sure where the proposals about NDA's currently stand, but any new regs unlikely to apply here as it was some years ago.
PPS EDIT2. You will note that all those celebs whose phones were hacked, received damages from the papers concerned.
And criminal law takes precedence every time (stovall v Meneley 2001) not after an argument just giving an opinion which may differ from yours but both are equally valid until the legalities decided re the NDA's in the Green example they were also years ago

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.