Angelino - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelino is a fantastic crosser of the ball. He is very dangerous.
But Zinchenko and Walker have Pep’s instruction to tuck into midfield down perfectly.

I think all 3 will be used to varying degrees against different opposition.

Zinc does that because he can't do what Angelino can do. Pep said the other week that we can't play the way he wants with Zinc (wide attacking FBs) so id guess Zinc's role is to come in more. I don't think Angelino or Mendy would be asked to do it anywhere near as much as they'd be bombing down the left instead. We'd play a different way I think.

Excellent.

Absolute dynamite of a left peg. Them type of crosses are so hard to defend.

We have 4 excellent full backs, all very similar in how they attack and get to the byline.

Not sure where it leaves Zink. We don’t play the same with him but he’s earned a role in this team.

Zinchenko will lose out on this position simply by considering our weapons of attack.

When Sane played LW, then having Zinchenko as a LB makes sense because he comes inside more often and Sane can go wide and use his pace and send crosses in, Sane got more assists than any of our forwards the last 2 seasons.

The problem is with Sane out, we now have Sterling playing LW, but he is right-footed, and has to play more inside and plays as more of a goal threat than goal creator.

This gives us a problem on the left wherein basically we offer no crosses and are really predictable, almost any cross relies on David Silva having to get behind a back line and whip one in.

This doesn't exist on our right side because while Walker is not a good crosser, Kevin is basically the world's best crosser and makes up for it.

If you consider the two ways we can set up the point is further illustrated:

Sterling
---------------------D Silva
-------Zinchenko

--------------Sterling
Angelino
---------------D Silva

I would argue the 2nd is still better in a "balance" sense because

1) D Silva is better in midfield than Zinchenko at controlling the ball
2) Sterling get's to play inside more often, and is in my opinion better at taking players on than David
3) Better cross delivery with Angelino

The downside is that D Silva has to play a little deeper and not as high up, more typical of a 4-3-3 with attacking fullbacks really, but as long as the other midfielders (say Rodri and Kevin) put in more defensively to allow Silva to push ahead, then I think that can be achieved. Same idea on other side, if Kevin pushes forward then Silva would drop a bit.

I like his energy, pace & crosses.

His decision making needs to improve, but hopefully that will come once he feel his place is safe at City.

He is proving to be an absolute steal bringing him back to the club, it will end up him and Mendy fighting it out for that left back birth. But with strength in depth down both sides now.

Pep Guardiola on Angelino: “In training every day he’s fantastic. He played incredible in Eindhoven and we brought him back because of what happened with Mendy over the past few seasons and we had just Zinchenko..."

“We played two seasons without a left-back. We know his quality - in the final third he is so clever. He is doing good and played well. He knows the club. He was at the Etihad and trained with us many times in the first season so it’s good.” [via @ManCity]

Bit rubbish he didn't start today. Thought Cancelo was chosen to deal with Traore but he didn't really do that. He offers such a good attacking threat. Shame Zinchenko is coming on at HT instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.