70 years ago today

Yeah, my Dad said the same, having seen them both. He also reckoned that Muhammed Ali was better than Joe Louis - again he'd seen them both. Not a bad judge, my Dad.
I have to disagree with your dad, I think Joe Louis was better than Ali, for a boxer to successfully defend his title 25 times which Louis did was remarkable, but again it's all about opinions, fair play to your dad on seeing both of them fight.

Its worth a watch but do not think its an accurate portrayal of his story. Which is plain stupid because the real story is far more interesting than anything written by some director.
I was a consultant on the film.... and totally agree. It’s a film inspired by his life based on interviews the writers did towards the end of his life. Bert by that time exaggerated some stuff and, because the writers were not experts on City, they didn’t quite grasp why City took the gamble of signing Bert. There was a lot of ‘artistic licence’ and my job was to explain the facts - ultimately the producer made the decision of what to include/exclude. There were plenty of major dramatic moments ignored and other moments exaggerated BUT it’s a great film to get a feel for his story. If that then 8nspires people to find out more or to followCity then that’s great.

I was a consultant on the film.... and totally agree. It’s a film inspired by his life based on interviews the writers did towards the end of his life. Bert by that time exaggerated some stuff and, because the writers were not experts on City, they didn’t quite grasp why City took the gamble of signing Bert. There was a lot of ‘artistic licence’ and my job was to explain the facts - ultimately the producer made the decision of what to include/exclude. There were plenty of major dramatic moments ignored and other moments exaggerated BUT it’s a great film to get a feel for his story. If that then 8nspires people to find out more or to followCity then that’s great.

Yes I completely agree. The film itself is very enjoyable and is a decent snap shot of that period in his life. I would recommend it to everybody. Congratulations on your work.

However it was a little infuriating major events like his engagement and birth of his daughter were omitted, which then makes you question the accuracy of every other aspect of the film.

I appreciate this is common practice in many films but something I have never fully understood, particularly when Bert’s story is so rich without embellishment or fabrication.

Does anyone know what his exact involvement in the war was? Because obviously some things are easier to forgive than others.

What book about Bert's life would you recommend to read Gary?

I enjoyed the film, but it seemed to imply Bert's heroics saved St Helens from relegation very soon after the war ended (probably 1946) and he was signed by City after the final game rather than a couple of years later. The film is well worth watching even allowing for artistic licence.

Yes I completely agree. The film itself is very enjoyable and is a decent snap shot of that period in his life. I would recommend it to everybody. Congratulations on your work.

However it was a little infuriating major events like his engagement and birth of his daughter were omitted, which then makes you question the accuracy of every other aspect of the film.

I appreciate this is common practice in many films but something I have never fully understood, particularly when Bert’s story is so rich without embellishment or fabrication.
I disagreed with the producer and writers quite a bit because they wrote the story Bert told them rather than the factual account. I produced evidence for everything I commented on and they changed many aspects. However, the moment I said that there weren’t 30,000 marching from Albert Square To Maine Rd in protest or that crowds actually went up not down they started to say things like ‘well, without that there’s no film’. Ultimately it’s their choice. Les McDowall isn’t featured, the CoA is wrong (because they couldn’t get clearance)... I could go on but ultimately they made a fictional account - based on the stories Bert told them rather than the truth - and that was their choice. It’s a great film but like the film on Laurel & Hardy or Dunkirk or.... it’s a fictional dramatization not a documentary.

The 1990s one called Trautmann published by Breedon and written by Alan Rowland’s. The Catrine Clay version is good but is based on many of Bert’s later life views and memories of his time at City, not necessarily the facts.
Both good reads and there's also the excellent three part The Bert Trautmann Story on YouTube which has been discussed before on BM, all original film footage and interviews with Bert. An hour long and very moving.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.