Gundogan as an attacking midfielder

We had a decent triangle going on in the 1st half with Cancelo, Silva and Sterling. Almost all our attacks came through that channel.

2nd half Cancelo swaps with Walker/Zinchenko and that avenue closes down, and it doesn't open up with a link to mahrez. Ironically cancelo was our best player in the first half out of position as left back, and then he moves to his best position and struggles to have an impact in the game. Odd.

Any lurking journalist, can you please illustrate these figures to Pep and ask him for his thoughts?

Pep’s a genius, the best football coach I’ve seen in my lifetime.

But he has an insane blind spot with Gundogan in my view.

Maybe it’s because he was so good for Dortmund, Pep has always been determined to get him.

Maybe it’s because it was his first signing for City, he’s got a soft spot for him.

Maybe it’s because of his dreadful luck with injuries, Pep feels sorry for him.

But the fact he keeps getting selected as an 8 cannot be based purely on performance. He plays badly there, and the team plays badly and drops points when he’s there.

There simply must be something that’s clouding his judgement on this issue.

Anyone who has watched City in those games can't argue with these figures. Gundo, Silva, and Rodri just doesn't work. For most of last season Bernardo replaced KDB at number 8 and was arguably the best player in Europe over that period. This year he has mostly been stuck out on the left or right wings where he does a good, but not brilliant job. It's not rocket science. For me Pep is the greatest manager of all time but yesterday was a tactical defeat to Wolves.

This scapegoating of Gundo is disgraceful. He is always the top at number of intercepted balls and turnovers, recycles the ball, keeps the shape of the team,...,the reason why Pep keeps him in the team, but so many years after Edin has been gone, bluemoon needs a new Scapegoat.

Any lurking journalist, can you please illustrate these figures to Pep and ask him for his thoughts?

Pep’s a genius, the best football coach I’ve seen in my lifetime.

But he has an insane blind spot with Gundogan in my view.

Maybe it’s because he was so good for Dortmund, Pep has always been determined to get him.

Maybe it’s because it was his first signing for City, he’s got a soft spot for him.

Maybe it’s because of his dreadful luck with injuries, Pep feels sorry for him.

But the fact he keeps getting selected as an 8 cannot be based purely on performance. He plays badly there, and the team plays badly and drops points when he’s there.

There simply must be something that’s clouding his judgement on this issue.

So, others poor performances yesterday were down to Ilkay, is that what you are saying? - really!

Dont buy that one bit. And if you look at it sensibly, neither would most others
Why? Of course Mahrez for example is more likely to have a bad game if he's left isolated (as he was yesterday) compared to when he has Bernardo or KDB helping him out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.